5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 5:01 PM by davidanders

Development Quote

MitchellEpeneter

Title

Development Quote

Hi everyone.

I was hoping to get some help determining the cost of developing a relatively simply database for a small early childhood education company I work for. We currently offer a preschool program with about 35 students enrolled, an afterschool program with 30, and a handful of offsite or extra-curricular programs including art and music.

The database has three main functions – tracking students (storing medical info, parent contact info, previous and current enrollment), managing classes (attendance, schedule) and tracking payment (determining who has paid, interfacing with Quickbooks).

I will be the

I will be the one developing this database. I have intermediate programming knowledge and for most pieces of this development I don’t imagine it being much of an issue. The company I’m helping is a small one and wants a solution that will be able to grow as they do – without having it be too overcomplicated right now.

Can anyone help with a rough estimate of what a range of costs this might go for? I realize development costs depend on experience and everything – I’m trying to figure out a reasonable range of billable hours and a total cost of the project.

Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: Development Quote
          davidanders

Have you considered one of the  packaged solutions this one is $400

http://solutions.filemaker.com/made-for-filemaker/detail.jsp?id=solution.10000003697

It depends on how many hours you will need to become proficient with FMP.

Whether a packaged solution with no modifications would work.T

The help available here is infinitely deep.
               A sad fact I have learned, it often takes 3 times longer than estimated.

Once the client sees what CAN be done, they find new things they wished it would do.

• 2. Re: Development Quote
            davidanders

There is the hardware and software - how many users to start?

There are several ways for companies and educational entities to purchase FMP.

Filemaker Pro and Advanced can support 9 FMP users and 5 Web browsers users.  Past that you need Server or Server Advanced.

• 3. Re: Development Quote
              davidanders

I suggest you join the FMP Developers Website (free) and view their discussions on the subject.
              https://fmdev.filemaker.com/login.jspa

• 4. Re: Development Quote
                MitchellEpeneter

Have you considered one of the  packaged solutions this one is $400

http://solutions.filemaker.com/made-for-filemaker/detail.jsp?id=solution.10000003697

It depends on how many hours you will need to become proficient with FMP.

Whether a packaged solution with no modifications would work.T

The help available here is infinitely deep.
                          A sad fact I have learned, it often takes 3 times longer than estimated.

Once the client sees what CAN be done, they find new things they wished it would do.

I learn pretty quickly - I've already been tweaking some of the start solutions and recently started using this as a nice template: http://www.fmstartingpoint.com/

There will only be a few users. Potentially 3 or 4 at most simultaneously. A central computer at the front desk which will run attendance, payments, etc and two remote users, and potentially an ipad for attendance in the actual classroom. 

As for that $400 starter solution - so far I can do most of that without much difficulty. 

For licensing - could I get away with just purchasing FM Pro Advanced and then use web or iOS clients to access it? 

I realize that it depends on my skill level on how much time this would take (and price depends on that) but would a ballpark figure of 50 hours / $2000 be reasonable? 

• 5. Re: Development Quote
                  davidanders

FMP Pro and Advanced have the same hosting capibilities 9FMP and 5IWP.

Advanced has greater reporting capibilities, can create Runtimes and Kiosks. And is recommended for Developers.