7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 7:45 PM by DLake

Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations

DLake

Title

Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations

I'll try to explain the basics of my symptoms in as few words as possible.

Workstation 'A' = FMP 8.0v1

Workstation 'B'= FMP 8.0v3

Server 8.0v2

My FMP solution calculates a shipping cost based on several references accounting for total weight (quantity), shipping zone & product type.  All of my key fields are unique values within their repspective tables.  For simplicity I'll use sample numbers.

Workstation 'A' creates a new order and enters inital order information allowing it to create a shipping amount.  Shipping shows (and prints to the printer) as $400.

I can watch the order on workstation 'B' as it's being created on 'A' and 'B' shows (and prints) shipping costs of $300.

If we exit FMP on 'A' and immediately reopen the order on 'A', the shipping costs then shows the $300 matching what was always shown on 'B'

If we change a quantity on the order on station 'A' and then change it back to the original quantiy the shipping changes to the $300 matching what was always shown on 'B'.

We can't get the order to show the $400 shipping again after it changes to the lower amount.

It always changes to a lower number (on the creating workstation) after the inital creation of the record, but the partner workstation always accurately reports the lower shipping cost.

I have rebuilt the file.  I have saves the rebuild as a compressed copy.  Exactly the same results.

We are able to duplicate these symtoms between both combination 'A' & 'B' and 'B' & 'A'.   It isn't just one of the two workstations producting the inconsistent result, and the alternate workstation always shows the lower (assumed accurate) result.

????

• 1. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
          philmodjunk

How are the two computer's sharing the file?

Is one the host and the other the client using Open Remote.. to link to the file?

Do you have any global fields that are part of this calculation?

If so, that's very likely where you have a problem as changes made to a global field by the client machine will not persist.

• 2. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
            DLake

We are running FMP 8.0 Server on a 3rd dedicated FMP Server machine.  No other function.

I don't have any global fields in the shipping calculation.  In fact, there may only be one or two global fields in the entire database and those are used to capture error codes etc.

• 3. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
              philmodjunk

Your going to need to do some detective work here. What you describe  seems impossible and if it were a typical problem Filemaker would be unusable.

Can you post the actual calculation here so others can see it?

• 4. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
                LaRetta_1

Workstation 'A' = FMP 8.0v1

The first, and easiest, thing to try is updating to 8.0v3.  8.0v1 and 8.0v2 both had issues with calculations, aggregate functions and  evaluating depending upon field creation order.  Regardless whether this is the issue, updating to 8.0v3 is highly suggested.

Secondly, it might be refresh issue ...

"We can't get the order to show the $400 shipping again after it changes to the lower amount."  You haven't said whether the process has ever worked.  It would help to see a sample file of which shows your relationships and calcs involved in this particular process.  When it is first created, try issuing a Refresh Window[] and even include 'flush joined cache results' and see if the figure then changes from $400 to $300.

• 5. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
                  DLake

I'm not on-site today.  I'll get a copy of the file and post the actual calc as soon as I can.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
                    DLake

Thanks!  I'll try both the upgrade & additional script steps.

Is there a suggestion as to how to seamlessly issue the Refresh Window & flush cache results during the users data entry process??

Answer to your question:  Yes, it "works" 95% of the time as expected.  It's the other 5% where the users see a sharp drop in shipping costs for no real explainable change to the order that has me concerned (and them too.).

• 7. Re: Different Calc Results on 2 Workstations
                      DLake

Here's a copy of my "unstored' shipping calculation.

If(Orders Shipping Override="";
                      If(Orders Ship Cust PU="Yes";${Orders Ship Cust $ Per Box}*Orders Ship Qnty Boxes;If(Orders Ship Zone=0;0;If((Orders Ship Total Lbs*Ship Key::Rates Cost)*1.2<GetAsNumber(Orders UC Min Shipping);Orders UC Min Shipping;(Orders Ship Total Lbs*Ship Key::Rates Cost)*1.2)));Orders Shipping Override)

PS  I just was able to upgrade the second workstatoins to 8.0v3 this afternoon.  Will post results as soon as it's been tested.

Thanks again for your help.  Sorry this reply has taken so long.

David