6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 8:17 PM by TKnTexas

Different on Mac and PC

MikeF

Title

Different on Mac and PC

Have been working on a file for quite some time on a pc.

Just loaded it onto a Mac, expecting it would be exactly the same.

For the most part it is, but most of the layouts' cosmetics are spoiled by font and font size changes ... everything that was 9 point is 8 point, some of the label colors are black instead of dark blue, the bolded text looks "doubled", etc.

Is this normal?

Is there any easy way to resolve where everything is specifically the same on both platforms?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Different on Mac and PC
          philmodjunk

It seems a bit extreme. Usually, there arent' too many layout issues when you go from windows to mac, a few more when you develop on mac and switch to windows.

Keeping to plain vanilla fonts and the basic color set should make for a smoother transition. Can you confirm that the fonts you used are installed on both systems? Did you create any custom colors?

Text on windows takes a bit more vertical and horizontal space.That can make for clipped and wrapped text when mac developed layouts are first brought up on Windows, but the reverse usually isn't too awful.

That said, it is sometimes necessary to duplicate your layouts, adjust them for the other platform and then add scripting to your database to select the set of layouts appropriate to the current operating system.

• 2. Re: Different on Mac and PC
            MikeF

Am only using Arial 8, 9, and 10 fonts.

They are all available on the Mac, but "look horrible".

The 9-points are now 8.  If I change them back to 9, they look better, especially the bold.

Not using any custom colors.

And as for a logo that I copied into layout headers, it just says "File not available" in the Mac.

Mike

• 3. Re: Different on Mac and PC
              philmodjunk

And as for a logo that I copied into layout headers, it just says "File not available" in the Mac.

Sounds like you inserted a reference to the logo file instead of copy and pasting it--which would be a better option for a logo in most cases as otherwise you have to move the logo file with your database, keeping the filepath to it unchanged.

That's puzzling. Once a year I run a DB I created on Windows on a Mac system at my church for a special event and don't see such issues...

• 4. Re: Different on Mac and PC
                MikeF

I used Insert | Picture on the Layout View menu.

Is there a better way to embed the jpg ?

Thanks,

Mike

• 5. Re: Different on Mac and PC
                  philmodjunk

Don't use the store a reference option so that a copy of the file is inserted instead of a file reference. This way the image stays with the file and the differences in mac and windows file paths are not an issue. That makes this the better option for relatively small image files. You can also insert a copy, not a reference into a global container field if you want to use th logo in multiple layouts and be able to update all of them by inserting a new image at some point in the future.

If it's just a single layout, you might just copy the logo to your clipboard from an image editing program and then paste the image on the the layout.

• 6. Re: Different on Mac and PC
                    TKnTexas

I develop my run-times on both Mac and XP to use on XP machines.  I have found that I need to leave a little extra vertical space for the font for viewing on Windows.  I tend use 11-point fonts.  I have not found any issues.  I keep colors simple.