AnsweredAssumed Answered

Different solution to date field question mark

Question asked by RichardKirkman on Dec 31, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 by RichardKirkman

Title

Different solution to date field question mark

Post

     *EDIT: THIS FIRST POST DOES NOT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. SEE POSTS AFTER THIS. [I'm only leaving this post in case someone wants to try any of the steps mentioned in the replies]*

     Ever since I had updated to FMPro 11, I've had trouble with the date fields in my forms displaying a question mark. If I clicked in the field, the current date would display, which was what it was supposed to do—automatically enter. But once I tabbed out of the field, it reverted back to a question mark. Also, during that period when the date did show, the slash mark separators in the date were missing. I took this as a clue and tried all sorts of things from changing date formats to fonts. I tried changing the size of the field in case it was too small to display the date (though it had always been fine in previous versions). I deleted it and put the field in again. Nothing ever worked. 

     Today I found the solution. I tried to check the definition of the field. Everything was fine. Then it occurred to me that maybe there was a duplicate date field and I might be using the wrong one, or it was conflicting somehow. 

     My date field—that I'd been using for years, through at least 6 or 7 versions—was called "Invoice Date." I scrolled through the list of fields and came to one at the bottom that I didn't recognize: "Today." I never created that field. In the Comment for it, it said "Generated by conversion." All I can think is that when the files were converted for the new version, it generated the "Today" field, and no longer recognized the old "Invoice Date" field. When I looked at the options, it had the same options as my old field, so I tried it. I replaced the Invoice Date field with the Today field, and now it fills in correctly and stays entered now. 

     This should be considered a bug, and it's caused me many hours of frustration trying to fix it. An update and the subsequent file conversions should not be messing with your user-defined fields. Nowhere in my searches for a solution for this over a long time has this ever come up as a reason. Maybe my case is unique, but just in case it isn't, I want to let people know to look for this. 

      

      

Filemaker-today-field.png

Outcomes