2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 9:42 AM by RickWhitelaw

different value lists if in browse or search mode

FrancoT

Title

different value lists if in browse or search mode

Is it possible to assign to a field two different value lists depending if the current window status is browse or search mode? Such necessity is present when a value list dinamically operating under  a multiple relationship is assigned to a field, so that the listed data are only the ones  "filtered" by the relationship. In search mode, since the conditions of the relationship are not applied and applicable, the value list is understandably not available, but for the search purpose, nice would be to have an alternative value list (namely the same list without any filter) thank in advance for any help and suggestions F

• 1. Re: different value lists if in browse or search mode
          philmodjunk

Not really, but there are alternative methods to get the same result.

You could, to name one example, put two copies of your field on your layout on different panels of an invisible slider or tab control. One copy of the field can specify the value list that you want for Browse Mode and the other can specify the value list that you want for find mode. Changing to find mode can also use go to object to change panels.

Or you can set up a global "search field". This can be accessed via a custom dialog, a modal new window or in a popover. You enter the search criteria that you want into this different field while in Browse mode and then a script takes this data, enters find mode, sets up the needed search criteria in find requests and performs the find. See this thread for example scripts: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: different value lists if in browse or search mode
            RickWhitelaw

I use the same value list in Find and Browse mode all the time and the relationships do apply. I usually set up the field as a popup or drop down list. As a matter of fact I have several of these that can only be entered in Find mode. Could be I'm not understanding the question.