The Client records must have value in the key field you selected to define the relationship that matches the key field in the parent record.
If you define the relationship as:
Employees::EmployeeID = Clients::EmployeeID
Then an employee record with EmployeeID of 1 will show all Clients Records with EmployeeID of 1.
So check the values in your fields, make sure the fields are the same type and have exactly the same value they need to match to the correct records.
Thank you. However, I don't know if it is a problem with the system. I was using a Macintosh desktop pro (with snow leopard) when I created the faulty database. I ported the database to my MacBook Pro (with snow leopard) and it did not work. However, I recreated the design from scratch in MacBook Pro (similar to the original one) and it worked.
But I am going to check your suggestion to make sure that it was the same as you suggested.
one easy way to make sure that client records have a matching value in the key field is to enable "allow creation of record via this relationship" for the child table.
Then, when you can enter data into the bottom blank row of a portal to the Child table on your Parent layout, a new record in the child table is created and the matching value from the parent record is entered automatically.
I found that I was wrong. It has nothing to do with the system. I tested again on the desktop computer and this time it worked.
I did not include the primary key in the child's table. I only had the foreign key.
Your idea of "allow creation of record via this relationship" is a good one. I should implement that.