9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 6:08 AM by carlosdetweiller

Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user

carlosdetweiller

Title

Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user

Using FileMaker Pro 10. Running Windows Vista.

I've created a layout using merged fields for a book collection. Each record is displayed in the layout as a single paragraph of text using several merged fields. With the help of this forum (PhilModJunk and mr_vodka) I've been able to print a found set and get it to look exactly the way I want it to in "preview mode."

Now I would like to export the found set to a word processing program to do some simple things like adding a salutation, date, etc. before sending a list of books to my insurance company.

I don't really understand tab and comma separated text files. I've had no real luck using either when exporting to MS Word. On one there are unwanted quotation marks separating each field and it seemed like the spacing wasn't right on the other.

I just want to send what I see in "preview mode" over to MS Word for some simple word processing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
          mrvodka

Well it doesnt really work that way. You can export the data out in various forms and then try to import that data into Word but it wont look exactly like the way it looks in your Preview mode.

Perhaps you can further explain how you the data rendered in Word.

• 2. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
            carlosdetweiller

When I export as a .csv file it opens in Word nicely but there are unwanted quotation marks at the start and end of each field and, of course, commas between the fields. Otherwise it is just fine except that I will have to go and edit out all of those to make it look right.

When I export as a .tab file it too opens nicely and looks good except there are spaces (equal to about five characters) between each field. I can use this too but only after I edit out the spaces.

I'd like to export in such a way that there are no spaces, commas or quotation marks between the fields when it opens on Word.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
              comment_1

carlosdetweiller wrote:

When I export as a .tab file it too opens nicely and looks good except there are spaces (equal to about five characters) between each field.

Those aren't spaces, but tabs (as in tab-separated). If you want a single paragraph per record, you can combine all your fields in one calculation field and export only this field as tab-separated file.

• 4. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
                carlosdetweiller

comment wrote:

carlosdetweiller wrote:

When I export as a .tab file it too opens nicely and looks good except there are spaces (equal to about five characters) between each field.

Those aren't spaces, but tabs (as in tab-separated). If you want a single paragraph per record, you can combine all your fields in one calculation field and export only this field as tab-separated file.

I do have a single paragraph per record. I've got about seven merged fields into the "body" of a blank layout. This is giving me one paragraph of text (combining 6 merged fields) per record in this particular layout. It's when I export as a .tab file that I get the spaces (tabs) between each field. So each paragraph (record) has six unwanted spaces (tabs) in it. Is this what you mean by "one calculation field"?

It may be unavoidable and I can live with that. It doesn't take that long to edit them out. But I would like to find a way that doesn't require the extra editing if that were possible.

• 5. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
                  philmodjunk

Comment has the right idea. To fill in some more detail.

Let's say you have three fields and some layout text combined on a layout with merge fields:

Dear <<FirstName>> ,

We are so glad you purchased a copy of <<PubTitle>>

Sincerely,

<<AccountMgr>>

Create a calculation field that combines all of the above in a single expression that returns text:

"Dear " & FirstName & ", ¶We are so glad you purchased a copy of " & PubTitle & "¶¶Sincerely,¶" & AccountMgr

Now, if you export this calculation field instead of the individual fields, you'll see all the text in one block for each record.

• 6. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
                    comment_1
                       What you have on the layout is irrelevant for this purpose; only field data is exported.
                    • 7. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
                      carlosdetweiller

Thanks Phil and comment. The answers are much appreciated.

Please help me get this straight. If I want to create a calculation field that contains the four fields named Author, Title, Condition and CurrentValue I would type in:

Author & Title & Condition & CurrentValue

And the calculation field would then have these in sequence with no breaks? Is there any other punctuation needed to create the calculation field?

• 8. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
                        comment_1

I believe it should be something like:

Author & " " & Title & " " & Condition & " " & CurrentValue

I don't know if you need additional punctuation - you didn't say what the result should like. Note also that this assumes none of the fields is ever empty.

---

BTW, if you simply export the four fields as tab-delimited, you'll get a nice little "table" in Word - this would (to me) seem more appropriate display format for this type of data.

• 9. Re: Difficulty exporting a text file - Novice user
                          carlosdetweiller

Yes, that did it. That is exactly what I needed to do. I should have been using a calculation field all along. My only experience was with the Tutorial and didn't really grasp that a calculation field could be used that way.

Thanks for all your help!