AnsweredAssumed Answered

Difficulty populating field from related table

Question asked by BarbaraSevde on Nov 24, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 by BarbaraSevde

Title

Difficulty populating field from related table

I am building a solution for a farrier business and am having problems getting one field to populate properly.  I am a newbie and  I’m obviously missing something critical.

The field I want to populate is date_last_service - not stored because it will change based on the date of the most recent invoice. 

The tables are:

Owners

Horses

Invoices

Lines_Products_Invoices

Products (also includes services)

Globals

The relationships are

Owners <-> Invoices <->Lines<->Products-> Horses 2

Owners -> Horses<->Invoices 2  

The Horses relationship to Owners successfully populates a portal showing each owner’s horses.

Horses 2 relationship with Invoices successfully allows an invoice to show the horse on which each service is performed, and also allows me to show an invoice list based on Lines_Products_Invoices  and sortable by horses and owners, etc

I added Invoices 2 in order to link date_last_serice to date_invoice (unsuccessful so far)

Without Invoices 2, I have been able show an invoice list showing date,horses, products & services, and totals, so I’m not sure that Invoices 2 is necessary. 

The field date_last_service appears in the 3 layouts: 

1)horse form layout based on Horses

2)in a portal based on Horses in the Owner layout, (It shows all the horses belonging to a particular owner.)

3)in a Horse List layout based on Horses

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t know if I need Invoices 2 in the layout.  

I would appreciate any suggestions. Aside from this - my solution works just great.  

In the table occurrence Horses, I added a field “Date_Last_Service_Experiment - the field appears at the bottom of the Horse Form Layout to check the result of my experimentation, so I wouldn’t mess up what I had so far. Here's a link to the file with dummy data which you can access at 4shared.com

http://www.4shared.com/file/1mG1p5yf/Filemaker_11172011_Experiment.html

Thanks.

Outcomes