11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 11:22 AM by philmodjunk

Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac

AdamRauscher

Title

Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac

I am currently using Filemaker Pro 11 across 5 Macs. When I open the file on some computers, I'm able to open it on others. On other computers, I am not able to do so and receive the error message "The file [filename] could not be opened. (Permission Denied)"

Also troubling is that fact that none of the computers seem to be able to open remotely. We I open the open remote menu, I can see that other systems have Filemaker open, but when I click on the computer name, it shows no open files.

This is particularly confusing why I am able to open it on some computers but not others. All computers have been set with Filemaker Network sharing on for all users.

They're using the operating system of Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

Thanks

Picture_5.png

• 1. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
          philmodjunk

First, make sure that the file is set up to be shared. (See the Sharing option in the File menu.) Then make sure that the file is indeed open on the host computer.

If that's done and you still can't see the file in the hosts list, you might check out this link:

Can't login to FMS database on new Mac, other Macs can

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum. It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 2. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
            AdamRauscher

I have sharing turned on. The file is hosted on a local server.

I have one computer where it functions well. When then database is open on that computer, other ocmputers can open it and it shows up in open remote from other computers. I have copied that server.pem per the instructions you linked to and put it on my server. When I copy that server.pem to the problem computers, those computers still have the same errors. Other computers cannot open the databose when the problem computers have it open, nor does it show up to be opened remotely, even when the problem computer itself shows up in the open remote menu.

• 3. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
              philmodjunk

Please confirm this:

You have opened the problem file directly (not over the network) with a full access password.

Selected Sharing from the File menu.

In the "currently open files" list, clicked the name of this file

Selected the "All users" radio button in the "network access to file" section and the "don't display in Open Remote dialog" check box is not selected.

• 4. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                AdamRauscher

I have attached to the first post a picture of the sharing menu. I believe that I have the settigns correct. Please let me know if I do not.

Thanks for all your help.

• 5. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                  philmodjunk

Yep, sometimes we have to rule out the obvious just to be sure. Those are the correct settings.

Are all users on the same subnet? (I really don't think this is the issue here as I don't think you could see the host computer if this was the issue, but again, never hurts to be sure).

Try using recover to recover a copy of the file and then host it (even if it reports no problems found) and see if you get the same results.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                  2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                  3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

• 6. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                    AdamRauscher

That seemed to solve the problem. Thank you so much.

There is one last hiccup and that is a PC that is still having some slight issues. When it opens the file, others can open it remotely. However, the PC cannot open the file remotely if any of the Macs have it open.

The PC is operating Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                      philmodjunk

Where is the file located that different computers can host the same file? Or are you copying the file from computer to computer for testing purposes?

Files should be hosted from a local nonshared directory. If, by any chance, you have placed the file in a shared directory and then the first user opens the file from that remote volume in order to host the file, there is a risk of file corruption that can be avoided if you host the file from a local drive.

• 8. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                        AdamRauscher

The file is located on a server that all of the computers share.

I am finding that there's about 50% success rate when multiple computers just click open. If they can't open that way, Open Remote has 100% success-- except for the PC as described above.

• 9. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                          philmodjunk

This is a very dangerous way to set this up. FileMaker Inc. techs warn of possible file corruption. Two users attempting to open the file directly on a shared directory on your server can corrupt the file and this could be why you are having trouble with your file.

Shared files should always be hosted from the machine where the file is stored--either with Filemaker Server or Filemaker Pro and then all other users connect via open remote.

• 10. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                            AdamRauscher

But if the file is on a server, how can it be opened by that computer? Server computers normally don't have anything attached to them.

• 11. Re: Difficulty sharing with filemaker Pro 11 on Mac
                              philmodjunk

That's just it, this file should not be located on the server unless you also install a copy of either FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server on that computer and use it to host the database. Some offices designate a specific work station on their network and locate the file there with FileMaker installed and used as the host machine. There are ways to add a script that can save a back up copy of the database to the server for back up purposes.