4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

Digital Sign

JorgeFernandez

Title

Digital Sign

Hi there!

This is my first post, have been working with filemaker a couple of weeks only.

I´m working on a medical record data base and I need to create a button that inserts a digital sign and block the content in the related clínical record day of the portal. But I really don´t know how to do it.

I have 2 tables: patient data and clinical records (day by day).

Filemaker 11 Pro Advanced on Mac OS X

Can anyone help me?? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Digital Sign
          philmodjunk

what is a digital sign? A digital signature? Is this data capture by physically signing something or is it an image that's on file in the computer system? Images and other files can be inserted into FileMaker container fields. If the user is using FM GO, a signature can be captured directly into that container field.

"block the content" as in the record is locked to prevent any additional changes? or ??

If you want to lockt the record, to prevent additional changes, use settings in Manage Security to control Record Level Access. See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Digital Sign
            JorgeFernandez

That was pretty fast!!

Thank you PhilModJunk !!! Very useful information.

• 3. Re: Digital Sign
              JorgeFernandez
              Ok, on Filemaker Go you can capture a common signature... How can I do the same on Filemaker Pro so I can use a Digital Signature Pad, a bamboo tablet or something??
              • 4. Re: Digital Sign
                philmodjunk

That will depend on the device. It won't be as simple to set up, but if the device can generate a Jpg or other graphic type file that contains the signature, FileMaker can insert it into a container field. The trick will be in automating the insert part of the process. There are File plug ins that can list the field names listed in a specified folder. Or, if you can get the devices to store the image file in the documents folder, you can use a get function to do the same without a plug in.

Either way, that gives you the file name and path to the file you need to use a script to insert the file into a container field.