AnsweredAssumed Answered

Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?

Question asked by Kansas on Nov 19, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?

Using the diminishing list technique to create a master keyword index and reference from multiple section indices in a reference manual.  Each entry/line equals a separate record.  The routine to parse the entries works fine, but when I attempt to run the routine/loop on a full set of say 800 entries/lines in the list, some entries are skipped, some values are overwritten.  There is no discernible pattern to the failed entries (such as text content or odd chars) and it works fine if I run the routine using only 20-25 items at a time. In one case, for example, maybe the 5th, 20th, 24th and 40th lines might be missed/skipped and the 43 overwritten.  In another, the 18th and 35th records might not have been created.  The char used to distinguish between topic and subtopic (the latter also having page numbers) is the pipe.  I bumped up the cache in preferences thinking maybe that was interfering -- causing the erratic hiccough-like behavior.  Could this be a timing issue?  I tried breaking the script steps into separate scripts and then putting them into a "master script" to slow things down a little.  It didn't hurt but it didn't help either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Using FM10 Advanced
XP-SP2 and Vista

Outcomes