5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?

Kansas

Title

Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?

Using the diminishing list technique to create a master keyword index and reference from multiple section indices in a reference manual.  Each entry/line equals a separate record.  The routine to parse the entries works fine, but when I attempt to run the routine/loop on a full set of say 800 entries/lines in the list, some entries are skipped, some values are overwritten.  There is no discernible pattern to the failed entries (such as text content or odd chars) and it works fine if I run the routine using only 20-25 items at a time. In one case, for example, maybe the 5th, 20th, 24th and 40th lines might be missed/skipped and the 43 overwritten.  In another, the 18th and 35th records might not have been created.  The char used to distinguish between topic and subtopic (the latter also having page numbers) is the pipe.  I bumped up the cache in preferences thinking maybe that was interfering -- causing the erratic hiccough-like behavior.  Could this be a timing issue?  I tried breaking the script steps into separate scripts and then putting them into a "master script" to slow things down a little.  It didn't hurt but it didn't help either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Using FM10 Advanced
      XP-SP2 and Vista

• 1. Re: Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?
          Sorbsbuster

What about 'Record Locking'?  Are there other users in the file at the same time as the script runs, and be locking the skipped records?

Alan.

• 2. Re: Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?
            Kansas
               Good thought, but I don't think that is the case because I set this up on a standalone install on my laptop and I am the sole user with access to it.  The database won't be put into a network version until later.    
            • 3. Re: Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?
              philmodjunk

I wonder if the file's indexes are in proper condition.

You can try:

Turning the indexing on and off for fields used in the search, sort or relationship

Test a recovered copy. (recover rebuilds all the indexes in all fields--so this may fix a field you didn't think to re-index.)

• 4. Re: Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?
                Kansas

I think I didn't explain the problem very clearly.  Let me try again.  From another source document, I'm copying a block of text from a .txt file into a global field.  The text is actually a sectional index for a reference manual containing 9 different sections. The idea is to create a file that becomes a master index with similar topics from different sections cross-indexed.  Here's a representative sample from the source list:

Quick Start
                Abbreviations|15
                Backing Up Your Data|10
                Basic Steps|19
                Creating Headers|17
                CUSIP Numbers|15
                Deleting a Document|10

A variable is populated with the first line (e.g. Quick Start) and a new record is created.  If the line does not contain a pipe char (|), the entry represents a major topic and the text is added to the primary category field.  If there IS a pipe char in the line, the text is parsed into that which is left of the pipe (goes to the subcategory field) and the chars to the right of the pipe flow to another field (page numbers). The top line is then removed from the initial "list" and the process repeats until the list is empty. The total number of lines in a given section varies from 80 or so to as many as 800.  What's going wrong is that some lines are skipped (no record created) or the entry is partially incorrect.  There wasn't any discernible pattern, e.g., every so many lines the record wasn't created.  It might be the 27th, 30th, 34th and 45th or some other seemingly random sequence.  I ran a series of experiments to try to isolate the issue.   I found that, if instead of processing the entire list (e.g., 80 lines), I broke it down to only 25 lines, all the records are created and the data is correct.  Thinking it was a timing issue, I tried timestamping each record and several other techniques.  Even the number of records created in a single second varied from 25 to as few as 10.  Each record contains a small amount of data only, an auto-enter ID, Section ID (added by script), the usual creator, modifier and record ID fields as well as the essential data.  There are no relationships through which I'm working, no layout navigation, no other windows open.  I tried flushing the cache to memory every 25 records but I still found the same hiccoughs (no record created for the same lines each time).   The text in the "skipped" line varied, sometimes it was the main topic line but others, it might be the middle of a series of subcategory items.  Obviously if I have to, I can work with only 25 lines at a time but that's just a workaround.  I'd like to understand what is causing the problem.   

• 5. Re: Diminishing List loops to create/populate records some missed or wrong - Timing issue?
                  philmodjunk
                     I suggest posting your script(s) here for examination. Perhaps there's an issue there. If you user FMP advanced, you can copy and paste your script from a database design report. If you don't, you can print your script as a PDF and copy the text from the PDF.