1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 8:20 AM by philmodjunk

Diminishing Value List problem

miw

Title

Diminishing Value List problem

In the middle of programing a new FM application and after I created some test records, I created the ability to see on a layout a diminishing value list, akin to the assistance I received at a posting quite awhile back at http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/29b5b70faa.  Everything seems to work except the diminishing list only appears in those Table B records that were already established when I created the ability to show such a portal (works perfectly).  However, when I add a new record to Table B, I cannot get any of the unaffiliated diminishing value records to appear in the portal.  Any inkling of what I am doing wrong? 

• 1. Re: Diminishing Value List problem
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you have a match field in the new record that is empty. Perhaps you did not clear the check box that reads "do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty"?

Since that original thread that you referenced, I've produced a file that demonstrates 10 different conditional value list implementations--including a Diminishing value list example. It's a working database file with extensive documentation on how each example was set up and how it works so you are welcome to download this file and compare the details of that working example with your file to see if that helps you spot any issues:

Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists