5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 4:07 PM by AdamAnklewicz

Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?

APeters

Title

Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?

Is there a way to disable the file open dialog box when you launch FileMaker? I'm referring to the dialog box that displays right after the FileMaker startup screen that prompts you to select a file to open. On OS X 10.6, the dialog box is titled "Open New or Existing File".

I don't want this dialog box to display by default because 99% of the time, I select the file I want from the File > Open Recent menu.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?
          davidanders

There is a checkbox at the bottom of this dialog box to not show it at startup.

It can be turned on or off in Filemaker preferences.

• 2. Re: Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?
            APeters

I don't see the checkbox or the item in Preferences. I running FMP 10 with OS X 10.6. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm not talking about the FileMaker Quick Start window (the one with the See It, Use It, Learn It items and such). I'm referring to a regular file system open file dialog box. I already turned off the Quick Start window preference.

• 3. Re: Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?
              RickWhitelaw

Drag the file you open 99% of the time to the dock on the right side. Click the file icon to launch FM and this file. The annoying dialog will not happen.

RW

• 4. Re: Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?
                FentonJones

Yes, I also find these "dialog on open" windows annoying, especially, as you say, you seldom want to create a new database. I've just learned to hit the Escape key on launching FileMaker, which is not often, as it is usually running. 

It is possible to suppress the dialog, if you use an AppleScript applet (using Save as Application, no options), then put the applet (or an alias to it) somewhwere handy. This is the AppleScript code. Both the subroutines below can go in the same AppleScript file, as they are mutually exclusive, depending on how you use them.

-- on run happens when you double-click the applet

on run

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"

launch -- does not show dialog, nor bring app to front

activate -- brings to front; no dialog, because launch already did that

end tell

end run

-- on open happens when you drop files on it

on open (some_files)

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"

launch

activate

-- optional line to open the dropped files with an account/password; remove comments to use

-- open some_files with passwords "" for Accounts "admin"

end tell

end open

I mostly use the 2nd subroutine, the "drop file(s) on applet." Because most of my larger files are part of solutions with passwords, I want to open each with the master pw (without have to keep each in my user Keychain). So I save a separate copy of the AppleScript applet in each folder, next to the files, with the specific pw for them. I really should save them as "Run only" to be more secure (then no one could drop them on AppleScript Editor and read them).

P.S. If you have multiple versions of FileMaker on the computer, then the AppleScript will usually launch the latest one installed. Which is usually what you want. There are ways to be more specific about which it uses, but it gets geeky, and doesn't always get the one you want anyway.

P.S. again. If you edit the AppleScript later, you must use Save as Application again. Because to work on it, you must drop it on the AppleScript Editor application, which opens it as a regular AppleScript again. If you just hit Save, it will not longer be an applet and won't work anymore. Just another somewhat annoying default behavior. 

• 5. Re: Disable "Open New or Existing File" dialog when launching FileMaker?
                  AdamAnklewicz

Your script didn't work for me. When I enter launch, it still shows the open window, might be a change for FM13.

This is what I did to get our kiosk to start...

tell application "FileMaker Pro" to launch

delay 10

tellapplication "FileMaker Pro" toactivate

tellapplication "System Events" tokeystroke "." using command down

delay 10

tell application "FileMaker Pro" to getURL "fmp://<username>:<password>@<fqdn.for.server>/<filename>"