1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 7:07 AM by philmodjunk

Disable Autosave. Is there elegant solution to save then?

adamdavid

Title

Disable Autosave. Is there elegant solution to save then?

Hello, I wanted to disable autosaving the input form so user have to press SAVE button in order to save changes on new record.

I followed this instruction Layout Disable auto-save I just used button with no action on it instead of putting web browser under form. That seems quite insane as it has to load engine each time form is opened. On save button there is action "Commit Records/Requests" and after that “Go to layout …" It works quite well except few details.
           - User is now not able to unfocus from input field which is annoying. 
           - If there is some validation error, pop up will tell me. I push ok to put correct value in the wrongly filled field and then app asks me if I want to continue with running script. I don’t want the app to ask about continuing.

<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?-->

Is there a better way how to achieve “not automatic saving” in filemaker pro or should I give up trying?

• 1. Re: Disable Autosave. Is there elegant solution to save then?
          philmodjunk

That seems quite insane as it has to load engine each time form is opened.

As far as I can tell by watching, if no URL is specified for the web viewer, nothing is loaded. But a button in the background can work also.

Your save script can do it's own check for data entry errors before committing the record and thus you can avoid the validation error interrupting your script with a validation error message.

An alternative approach is to set up a layout with global fields for data entry. Your save button then either creates a new record and copies the data from the global to corresponding non-global fields in the new record or if does the same type of data transfer to update fields of an existing record.