11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 9:09 AM by episking

Disable RecordCommit after 8PM

episking

Title

Disable RecordCommit after 8PM

Is there a way to disable record commits after a certain time?  The layout should not allow records to be modified after 8PM of the same date in the "Date" field inside the layout, but can be modified anytime before that.

Thank you for your help!

-EP

• 1. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
          philmodjunk

If the users have accounts and privilege sets assigned (even if just one for all users), I would think that you could set up a "lock" expression on the table with your date field and Get ( CurrentTimeStamp ) that does not allow a record to be editied once 8PM of the same day has elapsed. This would work better than not allowing record commits as it would not allow the user to attempt editing a field in that record.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
            episking

We do not want the users (who connect as guest with Data Entry Only privileges) to modify or insert new data into the table when it's passed 8PM on field "Date"'s date.  I'll do some reading on that section.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
              episking

See the attached screenshots.  I set the time to 12:00 to mock up the 8PM cutoff, so that I could not edit/commit records as Guest, but it doesn't seem to work.  The records are being updated and saved (even though it's 3:00pm server time).

Thoughts?

• 4. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                philmodjunk

& is the wrong operator. Use the word AND instead. (& is the concatenation operator used to glue together two strings in order to create 1 longer string.)

• 5. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                  episking

I changed the operator, but am still having issues.  It appears that when I log in as Guest, I still have all permissions.

I have changed the privilege set of "IES Field iPads" to View only on all Data Access and Design, yet the iPad logged in as guest can still modify/create records... When I remove the Extended Privilege sets, it works properly (I can't even see the file available).  Do the extended privilege sets have priority over the specific set of privileges that I give?  I'm quite confused as to why the permissions I set for Guest aren't taking effect...

Thanks!

-EP

• 6. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                    philmodjunk

Extended Privilege Sets have nothing to do with this. It is more likely that your lock expression is not working as you would expect it to work.

I would compare timestamp values instead of comparing both date and time values as separate values.

Get ( CurrentTimeStamp ) < Timestamp ( Date ; Time ( 12 ; 0 ; 0 ) )

• 7. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                      episking

Tried that expression, and it's still not working...  Current time here is 1:00PM...

• 8. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                        episking

Look at this permission set.  When I set it, and log in via the iPad to the Guest account (by clicking GUEST when logging in, not typing guest as the user), I can still modify, create and view records on all the layouts....  Something isn't right... I don't have any fanciness going on.. Just a basic setup...

Thanks for your help!

-EP

• 9. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                          episking

Extremely odd... I checked the server, and it shows that the iPad is connected under the Admin account.... I closed the DB file and reopened it, and then logged in with the iPad, and it shows logged in as Administrator....

I changed the file settings to not log in automatically, and now it's functioning correctly... It appears that setting is global, and not just per client...

Thanks!

-EP

• 10. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                            philmodjunk

File Options sets the options for the File not the user, so it is indeed global in that sense.

• 11. Re: Disable RecordCommit after 8PM
                              episking

Thank you very much for your help.  I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future!

-Eric