9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 3:27 PM by GlenKillian

Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc

GlenKillian

Title

Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc

I am using FilemakerPro 12 Advanced  IWP to post images for people to view and place orders for prints online. There are several poses of each person in container fields that can only be viewed with a specific log on. On the host compter a left or right mouse click takes the user to another screen preventing them from copying the image. This is the case with a left click on a remote computer. But when users right click on an image from a remote computer they have the option of "Save Picture As...,E-mailPicture...,Print Picture..., Copy". Is there a way to disable the right click in Windows?

• 1. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
          jmw

I don't think there is a nice and clean way to disable the popup menu as it comes from the browser and not from FileMaker, but maybe somebody can correct me here.

Having said that there might be a way, I have not tested this so it is a guess.... Perhaps if you place an transparent picture on top of each of the actual pictures (make sure of that using the 'Arrange'-'Bring to Front' option) I guess/hope the browser will see the transparent picture as the one for which the browser will issue a popup-menu which is perfectly fine as it does not have any picture at all. If you need any action when clicking the picture, then the transparent picture is the button which performs that action. A transparent picture can be created by having a small empty gif-picture set to use transparency. 

If you're going this route you might want to check the behavior on all necessary browsers. 

• 2. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
            GlenKillian

I tried this with a tiff.  It works on the host computer, but on remote computers it just shows a black rectangle rather than a transparent image, so you can not see the original image. Also, If I put a text field over the entire image - it still picks up the container image behind it without any of the text field overlays.

Is this a solvable problem? Why is it that it works on the host computer, but not on the remote computers.  I tried it on both an XP and also a windows 7 computer as remote computers. Same issue.

• 3. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
              philmodjunk

Try covering the image with a transparent rectangle instead of a picture. Use button setup.. to set the button to do something innocuous like commit record (or revert record if the layout cannot be used for data entry.)

• 4. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
                AndrewCohn

"I tried this with a tiff.  It works on the host computer, but on remote computers it just shows a black rectangle rather than a transparent image, so you can not see the original image. Also, If I put a text field over the entire image - it still picks up the container image behind it without any of the text field overlays."

Web browsers don't handle tiff files so well so I'd try a gif or jpeg.

Phil, couldn't Glen use the GetThumbNail function to create thumbnail versions of the images, and then publish those to IWP.  That way, the users would be able to see the images but only in low-res form, so a user wouldn't want to copy them?

• 5. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
                  philmodjunk

@Andrew, that sounds like an excellent idea.

• 6. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
                    AndrewCohn

The other point I would make is using the method of placing an image on top, and this is only a guess, but the user could probably still get access to the image using a browsers "Inspect Element" tool.

• 7. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
                      GlenKillian

Hi everyone. 

I got it to work!  Yeah!

Thanks for your input - it gave me a place to start. 

The transparent overlay was a great idea but It came out solid in the remote computers when I used a tif or a gif - however it worked as a png.

Here is how I did it.  I went to "insert", then to "picture" and inserted a transparent PNG (not in any particular field) that I made in photoshop with just a slight transparent grey in each corner (I don't know if the grey corners were necessary.)

Then I made it a button. (The picture under it was a button before, so I just made it do the same thing.) 
                           Now you can see the image underneath just fine, but when you try to right click to copy the image, you only get these four grey corners.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!

• 8. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
                        philmodjunk

The transparent overlay was a great idea but It came out solid in the remote computers when I used a tif or a gif - however it worked as a png.

All you need is a fileMaker layout object such as a rectangle with zero width borders. No need for any kind of graphic png or otherwise.

I think Andrew's comment about "inspect element" is a very good one. Please consider whether or not it represents a risk that users will download a copy of the image that you don't want them to have or not.

• 9. Re: Disable the right click in IWP on Windows to prevent "Save Picture As...,Copy...etc
                          GlenKillian

I am not that concerned if a few people can figure out how to copy images.  We do school pictures.  I don't want it to be easy enough for the average user to download, (and images are watermarked anyway.) 

I also do not worry if they do a "print screen" because it will be pretty low resolution,.

I wanted to post decent enough looking images so people would want to buy, (and though they were relatively small, they printed out better than I was comfortable with.)

Basically, if someone really wants to get it badly enough they probably can, but this makes it considerably more complicated.  And since these are pretty reasonably priced to buy, I think it will not be worth their effort to get a counterfit image!

Thanks again for your ideas. You guys were awesome!