8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 12:20 PM by gm1

Display a set of selected text entries inside a field

gm1

Title

Display a set of selected text entries inside a field

Hi,

I made a Value list and now I want to display a different set of selected entries from that list at each record inside a field -with no edit capablity. Each set will be between 1 and 100+ text entries so a vertical scroll bar will be needed.  I thought it could be done with calculation but it doesn't seem to have access to a value list -is that weird or what?

So, should I use a table instead (wich I find overkill) or am I missing something -as I'm a beginner? 

Is there a more direct way to do this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
          philmodjunk

A related table with a portal will probably be the easiest to set up, but a calculation can use the ValueListItems function to access the values in your value list as well.

• 2. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
            gm1

Thanks, I'll try this.

• 3. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
              gm1

I'm still stuck with this.

What I tried:

A)  I made a table and placed a series of list items as fields (1 record).

I related them with the database id.

Then I placed a portal and selected the related record and it asked which fields to display

Result: the fields were placed horizontally one next to the other. Not practical for more than a couple entries, there is not even a horizontal srcollbar. And when I switched to browser mode the fields were not visible.

I guess the portal has to do with multiple records while the list I'm making is global, not related to any specific record, like a pool that all records refer one or more entries.

B) With ValueListItems I was only able to display the whole list to each record.

Now if it were possible to select the desired entries listed in a 'check box set' field that should be related to that record, (and then be displayed) the problem would be solved ! 

Can this be done?

• 4. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
                philmodjunk

A) use one field and many records. This will allow you to display a potentially unlimitted list of values if you use a scroll bar on your portal.

B) A check box set with out the check box formatting will display a return separated list of data. So I don't think you need anything more than the check box field itself.

• 5. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
                  gm1

Actually, I realized I almost answered my question, I displayed the ValueList in a 'check box set' field but the list is long so it takes too much space.

A similar solution but more compact e.g with a scrollbar would be awesome.

• 6. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
                    gm1

We were writing simultanesously.  I'll try  A' . About B',  How can a check box set be made without the check box formatting?

• 7. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
                      philmodjunk

Take a look at this screen shot. The right hand field is a copy of the one on the left. I changed it's format back to edit box and specified a scroll bar in the inspector.

But also notice that the values are not in the same order as the check boxes. They will list in the order the check boxes were clicked. A portal on the other hand,  can be sorted to list the values in a specified order to produce a more consistent format.

• 8. Re: Display a set of selected text entries inside a field
                        gm1

Thanks! I reproduced your second solution with checkboxes, it is almost practicle and I'm going to try the multiple-record table solution.

I'm a little bit ...too slow as I'm a total beginner.