4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 8:27 AM by philmodjunk

Display all values for a field/value list/calculated field

Jim1

Title

Display all values for a field/value list/calculated field

I hope someone can help me.  I'd like to display the content of a specific field on my layout, but I need to show that content for all records in that table.

For example, I have a field called "Rates" and in that table I have records that start with $25 and end with $700.  Can I display all content from "Rates" on a new layout?

(New layout would display: $25  $50  $75, etc.)

Also, I have a calculated field that takes the value of the "Rates" field to show a "sub rate", for lack of a better term. Can I do the same with that?

The layout would display $2.30  $2.88  $3.46, etc.  Those are calculations based on $25 $50 $75, etc.

I'm trying to create a grid that lists the rates and sub rates below them.

I tried creating a value list based on the rates field, but I can't figure out how to show the entire list without making it a pop up or drop down.  The other problem I'm having with that is that I can't create a value list based on a calculated field, so I'd still run into issues with the sub rates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

• 1. Re: Display all values for a field/value list/calculated field
          sunmoonstar.13

Create a layout in List View which displays all your records in a list, with each record displaying the Rates field and Sub-Rates field.

Value lists are used to insert data into a field, not to view a list of records.

Nick

• 2. Re: Display all values for a field/value list/calculated field
            Jim1

Thanks for your help!  Unfortunately, I'm still having issues.  I can't seem to get the calculated field (sub-rates) to display the calculations based on the rates field. The other problem is I'd like to incorporate the fields in a non-list view layout because I will have other data displayed that must be shown differently.  

• 3. Re: Display all values for a field/value list/calculated field
              Jim1

Another option, which would be clean and simple if it worked would be to create a value list based on both fields (rates and sub-rates) because the user will be selecting one of the rates.  Unfortunately, filemaker won't let me use a calculated field in a value list.

• 4. Re: Display all values for a field/value list/calculated field
                philmodjunk

Calculated fields can be used to provide values for a value list, provided the calculation is a stored, indexed field. Field based value lists are drawn from a field's index so if there's no index, there's no value list that can be built from it.

Jim1,

You should be able to get a table of your values with either a list view or a table view layout.

You've posted: "I can't seem to get the calculated field (sub-rates) to display the calculations based on the rates field."

Exactly what have you set up and what results are you getting? Is this a problem with the calculation or a value list? If it's a value list, you may need to implement a conditional value list here.