AnsweredAssumed Answered

Display data in related field from related table in different layout whilst in browse mode

Question asked by RichardBrown on Aug 10, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 11, 2013 by RichardBrown

Title

Display data in related field from related table in different layout whilst in browse mode

I have joined the Lynda.com tutorials and browsed this forum but can't find the answer to my problem so I apologise if this has been posted before. I am very new to Filemaker and am trying to make a content management system for my fitness studio. I would basically like to store the information of my clients and what and when they have paid for their memberships. I have therefore created 4 tables: Clients, Product, Line Items & Invoices. I would like the User to be able to switch from the home screen (related to the client table) via a button to the Create Invoice Screen/layout (related to the Invoice table) but have the name of the client still visible in the field / box which was in the Home screen to make it easy to create the invoice for the person whose details were in the Home Screen. I have created a relationship between the field 'Client Id' from the Client Table (__pkClientID) and a field in the Invoice Table (_fkClientId). On the Invoice layout I have related the layout to the Invoice table and placed a field on it from the Client table simply labeled 'Client ID'. I thought that when in browse mode this would give me the same client id in both layouts however the field in the Invoice layout is blank and it it driving me nuts trying to work this out ! I'm pretty sure it will be something simple so I hope all of this makes sense to someone as I find it hard to just even explain what I would like - far less find the answer ! If anyone out there can answer this I would be ever so grateful. Regards - Richard.

Outcomes