1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 8:09 AM by philmodjunk

Display data on a report

shekarreddy

Title

Display data on a report

Hi Everyone,

I have created a report called "Break Fix Dashboard design". I also have another table which consists of list of people for September month who are working on shifts. There are 3 shifts for each day and for each shift two employees will work.Timings for shifts are:
      1st shift ( 6 am to 2 pm)
      2nd shift ( 2 pm to 10 pm)
      3rd shift ( 10 pm to 6 am)

I want to display the names of employees on my report, who are currently working, based on the current time.
      For example if the date is Sep 23,2014 and current time is 9 PM, then it has to display the names of employees on my report, who are working at that particular time.

Can anyone please explain the procedure clearly.

Thanks in advance,
      Reddy

• 1. Re: Display data on a report
          philmodjunk

I also have another table which consists of list of people for September month who are working on shifts.

Why for only the month of September?

You need to start with a data model (set of tables and relationships) that work for what you want to do. A typical set up is to start with a table of employees. Then add a related table of shifts where you then schedule employees to work a particular shift or series of shifts (over a specified number of days) by creating records in a third table that links a record in the employees table to a record in the shifts table.

Employees-----<Shift_Assignments>-----Shifts

Employees::__pkEmployeeID = Shift_Assignments::_fkEmployeeID
          Shifts::__pkShiftsID = Shift_Assignments::_fkShiftsID

There are many different interface options possible for assigning employees to shifts using this basic data model.Which will work best for you will depend on how you need to manage shift assignments. One option is to place a portal to Shift_Assignments on the Employees layout to list and select  Shifts records for each employee by creating records in that portal linked to their assigned shift. Fields from Shifts can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Shift record and the _fkShiftsID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Shifts records by their ID field.

Once you have assigned employees to shifts, you can then set up your dashboard with an unstored calculation field that uses Get ( CurrentDate ) to compute the current date that matches to Shift_Assignments, or possibly shifts to list all employees working on that day and in what shift. (The details can depend on what data you choose to put in the shifts table.)

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking