3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 5:01 PM by BillPlunkett

Display field loosing text color in middle

BillPlunkett

Title

Display field loosing text color in middle

I have a calculation field that is a combination of 2 text fields:

BrandName &  " "  &  "/" & " " & ChemicalName

It is set to display in blue text with no fill or line.  The field joins properly but at the "/" the text color changes to black like the slash is acting as an escape character.  I tried swapping the / for a : with the same results.

What am I missing? 

UserDisplay.jpg

• 1. Re: Display field loosing text color in middle
          BillPlunkett

The database screenshot

• 2. Re: Display field loosing text color in middle
            philmodjunk

Perhaps the Chemical Name was pasted from the clipboard into the Chemical name field?

There are two ways to format the data you see in a field. You can specify a format, such as your blue text color, by selecting the field object while in layout mode and specifying a color. But you can also paste text that is already formatted into a field or select text in a field and use the formatting tool bar to format it. This formats the data in the field and this format supersedes any format specified for the field object on your layout.

If this is the cause of your trouble, changing your expression to:

TextFormatRemove ( BrandName & " / " & ChemicalName )

will result in uniformly blue text.

To keep text from retaining any formatting when pasted into a field, give that field the following auto-enter calculation:

TextFormatRemove ( Self )

and then clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.

• 3. Re: Display field loosing text color in middle
              BillPlunkett

You have once again nailed the problem and provided the solution.  Almost all of the chemical names were cut and pasted from manufacturer web sites.

thanks!!!