7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 11:52 AM by Blackwk

Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing

Blackwk

Title

Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing

I very much prefer the display of full field data in Instant Web Publishing that is done in versions 4 and 5.5 by choosing the table layout of "all fields (no layout)" when setting up views in the Web Companion. I would like to move up to 9, but there seems no way to specify "all fields (no layout)". I tried exports. Full field data is displayed in the html and dbf exports, but that's outside of FM Pro.
      When full field data is displayed (this was called "vertical stretch" in dBase), you don't have to click on fields to see what might be hidden there; you can print all the data using table view; and your browser provides an alternative searching tool.
      If there is a way in Instant Web Publishing to display full field data for 9, is there also a way within 9? I don't see that in 4 or 5.5.

• 1. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
          TSGal

Blackwk:

Thank you for your post.

It's been several years since I used versions 4 and 5, but I do recall an option for "all fields", along with CDML (Claris Dynamic Markup Language) to display FileMaker data on the web.  This has all been removed.

In FileMaker Pro 9, you can display any layout on the web, so if you have a table layout with all the fields, that is how it will display on the web.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
            Blackwk
               Thank you, TSGal. There is no layout called "all fields (no layout)" in 9. Even if you haven't made a custom layout, an Instant Web Publishing display will display only the top line of each field. Is there no way in 9 to make all the text of each text field display on the Web? In 4 and 5.5, no formatting came with that display, but sometimes it's preferable just to have all the words before the reader without any clicking to open up a field's hidden text lines.
            • 3. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
              TSGal

Blackwk:

You are correct.  There is no layout called "all fields (no layout)" in version 9.  Instant Web Publishing will only use the layouts in your table.  Therefore, you would need to create an additional layout that includes all the fields.  I just did it here, and these are the steps I took.

1. I launched FileMaker Pro with my database table (test.fp7).

2. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".

3. Pull down the Layouts menu and select "New Layout/Report..."

4. I left the Layout name as a default (Layout #32), selected "Columnar list/report", and clicked "Next" 

5. On the next screen, I left it at the default of "Columnar list/report" and clicked "Next"

6. On the next screen, I clicked "Move All" to move all fields from the Available fields on the left side over to the Layout fields on the right side.  Click "Next"

7. On the next screen, I did not select a Sort order.  Click "Next".

8. On the next screen, I selected the first option "Default".  Click "Next".

9. On the next screen, I left the header and footer information as is and clicked "Next".

10. On the next screen, I let it default to "Do not create a script".  Click "Next".

11. On the last screen, I let it default to Preview mode, but you can select anything.  Click "Finish".

12. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".

You should now see all of your records with all of your fields.  Go to the other machine, launch your browser and open the file through Instant Web Publishing.  On the left side, select the last layout, and you will see all of your records and all of your fields.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
                Blackwk

I've replicated a database in 9 following your instructions. The display in 9 and in IWP is pleasing, but it fails to expose *at once* all of the text in a text field. For example, in IWG in a Book Title field, I see

History of Western

but I have to click in the field to see the remainder of the title. Even then it's revealed only one line at a time, instead of in its entirety when you click on the field in FMPro 9:

Philosophy and Its

Connection with

Political and Social

Circumstances from

Earliest Times to the

Present Day

If you export an html file from your FMPro file, you'll see that the entire text in this field of the record is displayed. This is the display that  4 and 5.5 (and I'll bet 6) give you when "all fields (no layout)" is chosen for IWG purposes, without html export.

I've had this display going for 11 years in 4.0, I attained it unwittingly, but I wouldn't want to give it up, and since I want the database functionality over IWG, an html substitute wouldn't do. For small files it would suffice, but the one in question has 114,000 records.

• 5. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
                  TSGal

Blackwk:

Sorry for not understanding you the first time.

You cannot accomplish this with Instant Web Publishing.  You would need to use Custom Web Publishing in the FileMaker Server product to display the entire contents of each text field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
                    Blackwk
                       I'll remember Custom Web Publishing with FMPro Server. I had hoped there might be field-sizing controls that would do the job within FMPro. Thank you anyway for following me on my query.
                    • 7. Re: Display full text in field in Instant Web Publishing
                      Blackwk

Does the current version of FileMaker Server's Custom Web Publishing have the ability to display all of the text in a given field of a given record? At some point, I know, my setup will have to move on from FMPro 5.5 and its Instant Web Publishing, but I don't want to lose "vertical stretch".