AnsweredAssumed Answered

Display full text in fields

Question asked by LJBB on Jul 29, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Display full text in fields

Hi,

I am a complete beginner, so please bear with me. I am evaluating FileMaker Pro to help me keep track of research notes for a book project. My project requires me to track approximately 150 different tourist sites. I currently keep this information in an Excel spreadsheet, but I'm looking to move it into a database, so I'm evaluating FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Access, and Alpha Five. So far, FileMaker Pro has been the easiest to use, but I'm running into one big problem that I can't figure out how to solve. Here are the details:

When I import my spreadsheet into FM Pro, it sets a width for each field. The problem is that some of my fields are longer, especially my "Notes" field. The result is that the various views do not show the full text of these longer fields. I can see the contents of the full field if I click on the field in Layout view, for example, but I want to be able to see the full contents without having to do this. At the very least, I would like to be able to see the full text in a Preview view.

I have searched through the knowledgebase but I haven't been able to figure things out yet. I'd really appreciate any guidance for how to configure the database to show what I want. I know it must be possible, since the sample databases have some long free-form text fields. But I'm not sure what those databases are doing differently from mine.

Thanks.

LJBB

Outcomes