3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 12:11 PM by philmodjunk

Display matching record in another table

brzasa

Title

Display matching record in another table

I know there is an easy answer, but I am struggling. I have two, related tables. I have a script that switches from the layout in one table to a layout in another table. If I have a list of several records in Table A. I want to be able to select a record, click my button, and view just that one selected record in Table B. For now, trying various methods, it seems like what I get is the last record in the list on Table A, that appears in Table B. Once I get to Table B, I can manually find that related record, then it's data shows in a Portal. But I want that record to appear.

• 1. Re: Display matching record in another table
          philmodjunk

That doesn't quite Add up....

You have a relationship between tables A and B:

TableA-----<TableB   (----< means one to many)

You are on a layout based on Table A and you want to see the records in Table B that are related to a selected Table A record. So far so good, but then you said:

Once I get to Table B, I can manually find that related record, then it's data shows in a Portal. But I want that record to appear.

If you are on a layout for Table B, to what table does the portal refer.

Leaving out portals for a moment, to click a button on the TableA layout that pulls up all related TableB records, a single script step should be able to do the trick:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: TableB; Using layout: "TableB" (TableB) ]

• 2. Re: Display matching record in another table
            brzasa

See screenshot. Table A is Table: New Chef Recipe - Layout: Chef Recipe Entry List and Table B is Table: Recipe Summary - Layout: Ingredient Builder Portal. The thought is the gal that maintains the ingredient data base and click next to recipe title and (Table B) would expand the full list of ingredients. See in screen shots, Sweet and Sour Pork is selected, but BBQ shows up in Table B.

I think I know part of my problem.The Field: Chef Recipe Name, is a drop down value list that takes it's values from the Field Menu Title. So, once in Table B, I can pull down and find Sweet and Sour Pork and it's ingredients will appear. My guess is having this field as a Value List is my problem.

• 3. Re: Display matching record in another table
              philmodjunk

And Go to related records should do exactly that.