5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 10:02 AM by philmodjunk

Display PDF page in portal

bterrell721

Title

Display PDF page in portal

Hello,

I know that you cannot properly display Interactive content in a portal, but the filemaker help area mentions that the first page of a PDF file should show up when placed into a portal.  I have set up a portal with a large field in it for the PDF and set it to display interactive content hoping it will show the first page, which is plenty for me, but instead it just shows the name of the file.  Am I missing an setting somewhere to have this display the first page of the PDF, or is that not actually an option?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Display PDF page in portal
          philmodjunk

There are subtle differences that stem from how the file was inserted/imported into the container field. Try using a non-interactive container field and use Insert Picture to insert the PDF into the field. The first page of the PDF should then be visible in the container field.

• 2. Re: Display PDF page in portal
            bterrell721

I made a new field optimized for images instead of interactive and did Insert Picture to add my PDF and now all it shows is the file name.  Also tried Insert File with the same result.  I want to be able to see the first page of the PDF from the portal, and then when you click on the portal line it takes you to a page where you can interact with and view the entire PDF.  Any simple way to accomplish this?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Display PDF page in portal
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, that used to work for Macs at least so I thought it worth a try. I don't think that there is a way as long as you are also using a portal. Sounds like you'll need to rethink your layout design.

• 4. Re: Display PDF page in portal
                bterrell721

Okay in that case I am having another issue.  My original layout is a client details page with a tab control to switch between viewing different types of information.  Since I cant display PDF files as a portal through this control, I would like to just make clicking the "Files" tab hop over to a different, similar looking layout that is actually displaying a list view of the Files table.  However my problem is that since you cant make a tab header a button directly I am trying to create a invisible button that covers just the "Files" tab header.  The problem is that the tab control and its contents are set to lock to both the left and right sides so they will resize dynamically, and when I try to apply an invisible button to cover the File tab header area, it can't adjust it's size in the same way as the header to maintain coverage properly.  If I lock to just the left side it doesnt slide over properly, if I lock to just the right side it doesn't grow larger in the same way as the tab header, and if I lock to both it becomes far too large.  Is there another way to accomplish this that I am missing?  Thank you!

• 5. Re: Display PDF page in portal
                  philmodjunk

If you are using FileMaker 12, you can use the OnTabswitch script trigger to perform a script that uses get ( TriggerTargetTabPanel ) to identify when the mouse click was on the tab for this change of view and then it can change layouts.

You can also give each tab panel a different object name so that a script that takes you back to the original layout can also use go to object to return the tab control to the panel that was visible just before the user clicked the tab that triggered the change in layout.