2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 2:37 PM by bhoutman

display text instead of serial number in layout

bhoutman

Title

display text instead of serial number in layout

I'm very new to FileMaker (using FileMaker Pro 10 right now), and I'm trying to create a FileMaker frunt end for a MySQL database that also already has an Access front end. I understand how to create a value list from a field from a related table and how to create a drop-down list control, but I would like the control to display the text (for example, the name of the Vendor) instead of the Serial Number (Vendor_ID) which the tables are related on. I would also like it if my users could type in the name to select it, and not have to click it with the mouse once they arrive at the correct name. Right now, attempting to leave the field after typing the correct name returns an error that the field is defined to contain numeric values only.

Thanks in advance,

Becky

• 1. Re: display text instead of serial number in layout
          TSGal

bhoutman:

Thank you for your post.

If your drop down is based on a numeric field with values to display from a second field, then if you plan to enter the information, you must enter the primary field; not the secondary field.  This is why you are getting the error message.

If the name of the Vendor is truly unique, then you may want to use this as your "key" field.  The downfall is the Vendor name must be EXACT.  For example, "FileMaker, Inc." and "FileMaker Inc." are two different entries.  Also, if the name of the Vendor changes due to merging with another company or name change due to marriage, this would affect prior records.

You can create a second table occurrence where the primary field still exists, but the secondary field is used for the Vendor name.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: display text instead of serial number in layout
            bhoutman
               Thanks for your quick reply. I was a little afraid of that. With many entities with very similar names (or multiple nicknames), relying on the name to be the primary key is problematic. I suppose a read-only layout for browsing and finding, and buttons to open layouts to edit or enter new data in a user-legible format may be the way to go.