4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 12:50 AM by rowedesign

Display various PDFs in interactive container based on field selection

ColeSchulte

Title

Display various PDFs in interactive container based on field selection

I may just not be using the right terminology to find the solution, but is there a way to have multiple pdfs display in a single container field based on a field selection (eg I have PDFs named: Dog, Cat, & Fish with matching options as a field selection. When I pick Dog the Dog PDF displays in the container field)?

I have about 13 different policies that are reviewed on each entry into a review database. Currently each policy is on its own tab with fields for the policy's date, a selection for if it meets requirements, another for if it needs to be reviewed administratively, a comment field, and lastly a pdf of the policy displayed in interactive mode. I would ultimately like this all to be condensed so there are not any tabs. I have thought about hiding all of the non-applicable fields based on the policy type selection, but I have ran into issues in the past with hidden fields blocking entry of non-hidden fields if the non-hidden fields are behind the hidden fields.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
           Cole

• 1. Re: Display various PDFs in interactive container based on field selection
          philmodjunk

Only one file may be inserted into any given container field whether that be a PDF or any other type of file.

But you can set up a table with one container field in each record and you can insert a PDF into different records of this table. Then you can use a relationship or perform a find to select the record whose container field holds the desired PDF file.

• 2. Re: Display various PDFs in interactive container based on field selection
            ColeSchulte

Hate to be dense, but can you give me an example? Using find, would I just write a script to look up the containers contents? 

Do you know if hidden fields that cannot slide up (eg radio button) will overlap non-hidden fields blocking input? 

• 3. Re: Display various PDFs in interactive container based on field selection
              philmodjunk

You can't search the contents of the container field. You can search on other fields in the same record, such as a field that contains the file's name, a description field or a list of keyword "tags".

Sliding doesn't happen in Browse mode so sliding is not a factor when you enter data. Haven't tried putting a hidden field on top of another, but wouldn't expect it to block user input while it is hidden if using the "hide when" setting in FileMaker 13's inspector. If you use conditional formatting to hide the field, then yes, it will block access to a field placed beneath it.

• 4. Re: Display various PDFs in interactive container based on field selection
                rowedesign

We do this by having a single record "PDF Table" consisting of one container field for each PDF we want to be able to select from and then we link that table to the primary database with a key field (1) so all the pdf's are available to all records in the primary database through the relationship. Then in our primary database we have a calculation container field that calls which ever pdf we want based on the choice of a separate PDF Choice Field field also in the primary database.

You can create a value list for the PDF Choice field that relates to the fields in the PDF Table (PDF 1, PDF 2, etc.) and use the following script step in the calculation container.

Case

(PDF Choice Field ="PDF 1"; PDF Table::PDF 1;

PDF Choice Field ="PDF 2"; PDF Table::PDF 2;

PDF Choice Field ="PDF 3"; PDF Table::PDF 3;

PDF Choice Field ="PDF 4"; PDF Table::PDF 4;

" ")

Make your PDF Choice and the corresponding pdf from the PDF Table will populate in the calculated container. Just make sure when you create your calculation field that you select "Calculation Result is Container."