2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 3:08 PM by Kat11_1

Displaying / Using the result of a calculated field in a field in another table

Kat11_1

Title

Displaying / Using the result of a calculated field in a field in another table

I have three tables: Customers --<Invoices  --<Line Items

I would like to add a field in a Customers table that would display the content of the Balance Forward field which is a summary field in the Line Items table.

If I create a calculated field Customers::c_Balance Forward  =Line Items::c_Balance Forward I get the sum of all the Balance Forwards accros all of the customer's Invoices. How do I get the caculation to "look" at the latest customer's invoice/line items only?

I am probabbly doing this backwards but would really like to be able to flag / filter customers with balance forward and wil very much appreciate any sugestions you may have.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Displaying / Using the result of a calculated field in a field in another table
          philmodjunk

If balance forward is a summary field, why is there a "c_" at the beginning? You can name fields however you want, but most naming conventions would use a c_ like that to identify a calculation field and s_ to identify summary fields so I am checking to see if this is really a summary field.

If it's really a summary field, you can add a calculation field to Invoices that copies the value of the summary field (To thus get a total for that invoie). Then, if you add a one row portal to invoices and specify that the sort order for the invoice places the newest invoice first, you can put this calculation field from invoices to show the balance forward for just the most recent invoice.

You should be able to sort your portal records by either a serial number or a date field in descending order to put the newest invoice first.

• 2. Re: Displaying / Using the result of a calculated field in a field in another table
            Kat11_1

Thank you Phil, as always you get me unstuck! Balance Forward is a summary field and I should have named it using s. Thanks for pointing this out too!