5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 4:54 PM by philmodjunk

Displaying a PDF in a container

DavidPitt

Title

Displaying a PDF in a container

I have built a FileMaker database that displays a PDF file in a container. In the Windows version it works correctly, but I can't get the PDF file to display in the container on the Mac.

I've used the same database file on both platforms.

The container is optimized for PDF.

In Browse mode the container only displays a red Acrobat logo on a black background.

Interestingly, if I switch the optimization to Images the file displays, but I need the Adobe Reader tools to appear in the container.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.5 and FileMaker 12.0v3. Both Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro and Adobe Reader 11.0.04 are installed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

David - Hobart, Tasmania

• 1. Re: Displaying a PDF in a container
          philmodjunk

And how did you insert that file into the file in the first place? Drag and Drop? Insert PDF? Insert Picture?

• 2. Re: Displaying a PDF in a container
            DavidPitt

The PDF file was inserted using Insert PDF.

• 3. Re: Displaying a PDF in a container
              philmodjunk

Can you use export Field contents to successfully export a copy and open it?

Can you get the PDF to display correctly if you insert it while using the Mac to do so?

Have you tried this with different PDF files?

Ultimately, you may need to report this in Report an Issue.

• 4. Re: Displaying a PDF in a container
                DavidPitt

Thank you for your response.

When the container is optimized for PDF there are no right-mouse menu options.

When the container is optimized for Images I can right-click on the image and Export it as a PDF(!).

As part of my testing I have inserted all the files using the Mac. And they are being recognised because they are displayed when the container is optimized for images.

I have also tested it using PDF files from other sources. The behaviour is the same.

On the Windows version, the Adobe Reader controls are displayed in the container, and from searching the web it seems that it should be the same on the  Mac. I wonder if FIleMaker is not recognising the Adobe Reader?

David

• 5. Re: Displaying a PDF in a container
                  philmodjunk

I'm not a mac user, but recent issue reports dealing with PDF's and OS 10.9 have taught me that there are two applications: Preview and Adobe that can be set up for use with the interactive portal on a Mac system. You may want to experiment with changing the default settings that specify which application will automatically open a PDF file.