4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 3:24 PM by JeffreyLove

Displaying all values with same name in a pop-up menu from a relationship

JeffreyLove

Title

Displaying all values with same name in a pop-up menu from a relationship

The fastest way to see this in action, rather than explaining my specific configuration as it behaves similarly, is to create New from Starter Solution…-->Invoices. Create two customers with the same name (e.g. John Smith) and then switch to Invoices and select John Smith from the Bill To: pop-up. You will only see one John Smith listed. How does one force FileMaker to display all values from a pop-up even if said values have the same name? In this case, that pop-up for Bill To: is being populated by a unique ID number and then the name. Why should it care, or know for that matter, if the names are identical. Shouldn't it just be concerned with displaying all names that have a unique ID regardless of similarity in name?

• 1. Re: Displaying all values with same name in a pop-up menu from a relationship
          philmodjunk

Do not hide the first column value and then you'll see both names. That's not what you want, I know, but that's how FileMaker works here. It's due to how Filemaker builds these value lists from the field indexes and the index only stores one instance of each value in the field--so no duplicates when you hide the first column or when you sort values on the second column.

While I would like to see this more clearly documented in FileMaker help, I don't find this to be a major issue for me.

If you could click on the pop up menu and see "John Smith" listed twice, how is the user to know that the second John Smith, PersonID = 45321, is the correct one to choose and not the first John Smith, PersonID = 2346?

The solution to both getting the duplicate names to appear in the value list and also to help users select the correct name, is to define a text field with an auto-entered calculation that includes more data, perhaps an address line, than just the name. This text field should have a "unique value" validation option specified to make sure that you can't have two records where this text is the same.

With the address included, the user (and your FileMaker value list) can distinguish John Smith, 3421 main street from John Smith, 2345 1st avenue.

• 2. Re: Displaying all values with same name in a pop-up menu from a relationship
            JeffreyLove

I believe I follow your suggestion for generating a text field with the additional, in this case, address information, but wouldn't that additional info then be displayed within the pop-up after the selection has been made? Then as one looks at the displayed values, the name field would have this extra data within it in addition to the extra data displayed within their appropriate fields? Or is there a way to only make this data appear within the pop-up and go away once the selection has been made?

• 3. Re: Displaying all values with same name in a pop-up menu from a relationship
              philmodjunk

Good point. You may want to use a drop down list with the related name field placed next to it. There are two "tricks" that hide the drop down list formatted ID field while still keeping it in the layout for your user to use. Both require placing the required name field on the layout and using behavior options in the Inspector to prohibit user access to the related name field.

1 ) Add the arrow option and then resize the field until only the arrow is visible. Put it to the right of the related name field so that it looks like the arrow for the name field.

2 ) Put the related name field on top of the ID field and format the ID field with a text color that matches the layout background. When the user clicks on the name field, the drop down behind it pops to the front and deploys.

• 4. Re: Displaying all values with same name in a pop-up menu from a relationship
                JeffreyLove

Rock Star solution! I'm working on it as I type this.

May I buy you a beer?