9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 10:22 AM by leedsman

Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group

leedsman

Title

Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group

I'm using Filemaker Pro V10 and am having difficulty displaying records in portals.

I have a table of Groups. Each Group contains Members. What I want to do is show the Group record, and then show the Names (just the names) of the members that are part of that group in a portal. I then want to show the address details of a selected member of that group in another portal.

The problem I'm having is that I get ALL of the address records occurring in the second portal, when all I want are the details of the one selected member.

Any help gratefully received, thanks,

Stephen Clough

scan0002.jpg

• 1. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
          rjlevesque

You will need to revisit your table relationships. Have a sample to share we can look at?

• 2. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
            philmodjunk

At the very least, you can click edit post on your original message above and upload a screen shot of Manage | Database | relationships.

What you describe sounds like a typical "detail portal" arrangement where clicking a button in Portal #1 performs a script that updates a value so that Portal #2 displays data for the record selected in Portal #1.

• 3. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
              leedsman

Apologies for not supplying screen shot. I have edited my original post and added the relationships.

Sorry again,

Stephen

• 4. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
                philmodjunk

Why not just link NMC Fundraising Donors to Donor Addresses by Client Number? (no need to link by the other fields here that I can see.)

What is the purpose of the middle table occurrence box in your chart?

Do each of these refer to separate data source tables? (Do you have three tables with these names on the tables tab?)

• 5. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
                  leedsman

I added the middle table to see if that would solve the problem, but it obviously it didn't! I will remove it and link direct from 'NMC Fundraising Donors' to 'Donor Addresses'. These are set up as two tables within the same database.

From your first email I think the answer is this 'detail portal' you refer to. Have you any more information about how to set this up.

Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen

• 6. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
                    philmodjunk

Now that I see your relationships, i don't see where you'd use such a portal. Your original description sounded like that given that you described two portals.

With just the two tables linked by Client Number (hopefully an auto-entered serial number in the first table), a single portal to addresses will list all of the addresses linked to that client.

• 7. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
                      leedsman

The problem I have is similar to the post titled 'Showing "detail" of a portal record', posted last year.

I have uploaded a screen shot of my layout. The first portal (on the left) contains the four members of the group and contains ONLY their name details.

In the second portal (to the right) I wish to display ALL the other information related to just one of the 'names' in the left portal. I have tried using a script (triggered by a button on the 'portal row number' in the left portal), but I can't get anything else apart from the details of the first name in the list.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

• 8. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
                        philmodjunk

First, check the relationship defined for the "detail" portal. If you were useing 11, we could set up a filter expression on the second portal and use the same relationship for both. With version 10, we'll need an extra occurrence of your Addresses table.

Check what you've done to the following steps and see what's different:

First define a number field, SelectedDonor in NMC Fundraising Donors. It's often useful to make this a field with global storage specified.

Now use the button with two green plus signs in Manage | Database | Relationships to make an extra occurence of Donor Addresses. YOu can double click it to change Donor Addresses 2 to Selected Donor Addresses to give it a more descriptive name.

Establish this new relationship for your portal:

NMC Fundraising Donors::SelectedDonor = Selected Donor Addresses::Client Number

Set up your Detail portal to be a portal to Selected Donor Addresses

Now set up your script to be this one line script:

Set Field [NMC Fundraising Donors::SelectedDonor ; Donor Addresses::Client Number ]

That's it.

As an added nice feature, you can use the following expression in a conditional format to change the fill and/or text color of the fields in your first portal so that you have a visual indicator of which donor is currently selected in the detail view portal:

NMC Fundraising Donors::SelectedDonor = Donor Addresses::Client Number

• 9. Re: Displaying Contact Details for Members of a Group
                          leedsman

Thanks for the 'step by step' instructions. I have applied the changes and it is now working fine.

Thanks again, Stephen.