5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2013 7:30 PM by StuartKlassen

Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals

StuartKlassen

Title

Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals

Hello; just joined the forum today, though I've been resourcing it for a couple years now. Amazing community support here. Great to see and learn!

Using FM Adv Pro 11; I am creating a file that allows me to design personal training programs for clients. The layout attached is from the table "MORFIT Trainer". The tables "Exercises" and "Parameters" are related to the MORFIT Trainer table, with "Allow creation of records" checked on both sides for both relationships. 

I have set up value lists for the values listed in the "Parameters" and "Exercises" fields.

I am trying to set up multiple portals within each tab of the attached layout. However, I need to put different values from the same field in each separate portal.

ie: The first portal, labeled CARDIO may need to display "Leg Press" in the first portal row, and HS curls in the second.
                The second portal, labeled STRENGTH may need to display "Treadmill Sprints" in the first portal row, and "Leg Press" in the second.

All that would take place in the first tab labeled DAY 1. I would then need to be able to repeat the same options with different values from the same fields for tabs DAY 2 through 5.

One solution to this, would be to create different fields within the table "Parameters"; then assigning each portal a unique field (using the same value lists for each unique field in "Parameters"). But that would be about 80 unique fields... Sloppy; but effective. Any cleaner solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! I will try to post a pic of the relationships right away.

Stuart

Layout.png

• 1. Re: Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals
          StuartKlassen

I forgot to mention:
               Right now, with the way the relationships are set up, changing one portal row affects the same change in the same row of all portals (as they are not uniquely identified fields at the moment)

• 2. Re: Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals
            philmodjunk

I see what looks like three portals in a single tab. Are these three portals to Exercises?

Are they filtered portals to limit different entries to different portals?

What is the purpose to the Parameters table? (which doesn't yet appear to be part of the current issue...)

• 3. Re: Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals
              StuartKlassen

Hi Phil;

The three portals are all to "Parameters". They are currently unfiltered. I've been reading up on filtering them, but haven't succeeded at finding a similar request thus far. 

All the fields in the portals are from the parameters table (D1_End_ExName; etc).

The Exercise table was used to enter exercise information. Once the exercises are in the database; the exercise names are put into a value list. The value list is then assigned to the D1_End_ExName field in parameters (photo attached)

• 4. Re: Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals
                philmodjunk

Did you edit your original screen shot before posting? I see no way that screen shot could be possible for the layout that you have designed without portal filtering.

You'd see the same list of exercises in each table as you are listing the same records in each portal unless a portal filter were used to control which records appear in each column.

There are two ways to get three different sets of records from the same table for your three portals:

1) A portal filter could limit the first set of records to "cardio" records

2) Three different relationships could be set up to the same Parameters table occurrence. An added pair of match fields would be different for each portal so that you match to different sets of records in each portal.

But now that I take a closer look at your relaitonships, I see additional potential problems as your relationships do not look correct in the screen shot that shows them.

a) isn't this data in these portals for a specific client rather than a specific trainer? Your current relationships would appear to show this data for a specific trainer. What does one record in the "morfit trainer" table represent?

b) There's a disturbing lack of "crows feet" in the relationship graph. What is shown shouldn't permit multiple records in the parameter portal as they show "one to one" relationships everywhere but two the globals table.

• 5. Re: Displaying different values for same field in multiple portals
                  StuartKlassen

Thanks Phil. I took the screen shot seconds before posting.
                       One record in the "morfit trainer" table represents one exercise template (or workout program). 
                       I apologize for the disturbing lack of crows feet :)  Your questions have brought up a couple aspects to FM that I'm probably not familiar enough with to intelligently troubleshoot (or even articulate) my current predicament. I will spend some more time educating myself on relationships; then tackle this portal issue once again.

Thanks Phil. Back to the Forums!!!