1 Reply Latest reply on May 21, 2012 4:31 PM by philmodjunk

Displaying documents in a container field.

lannycook

Title

Displaying documents in a container field.

I have an app that needs to display multiple engineering docs.  I don't have the space to display all the docs, in a readable size, on the form, so I thought I could use one container field to display the docs.  I would have a list of the available documents on the left side.  The user would select which doc they wish to see and I would load that doc into the container field.  I would store the full path to the doc for each available doc. 

The problem is how do I load a document into a container field without the user having to reselect it from the stored location every time?  I already know the location but I cannot get 'Insert Quicktime' to accept a known path and file name.  And then just load it without any dialog with the user.

• 1. Re: Displaying documents in a container field.
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using? version 12?

insert Quicktime only inserts file references into the container field in the first place.

What you do is set up a related table of records with a container field in this table. Each related record's container field stores the reference to one document.

You can then set up your container field in the portal as a button such that clicking it either copies the container field contents to the large format container field or it copies the contents of a serial number ID field in this table to a global field used in a relationship to display the large format container field.

Either way, a mouse click on the container field in the portal then causes the document to appear in your larger container field.