AnsweredAssumed Answered

Displaying fields from different related tables within the same portal.

Question asked by ALB on Nov 19, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Displaying fields from different related tables within the same portal.

I am new to FileMaker and I'm hoping this will be a simple problem to solve. I have a series of nested one-to-many relationships, and I am having trouble when displaying information from different related tables within the same portal. I have re-created my problem using modified field names to make it easier to understand (using tables named Family>Parent>Child>Grandchild). When I create a portal in the "Family" table and specify that it should show related records from the "Parent" table, it of course only has one row per each of the three "Parent" records, and only the first "Child" and "Grandchild" related to each parent record are displayed (but the ID numbers all match appropriately). If I instead select the portal to show related records from the "Grandchild" table, it appropriately has a row for each grandchild record but for some reason all of the Parent IDs show the same value (ID#1) instead of the correct Parent ID that actually corresponds with each individual Grandchild record (in the attached file, compare Parent IDs from the "Grandchild" table to the "Parent" table and to the graphical hierarchy I have drawn at the bottom). How can I fix this so that the Parent column accurately displays parent IDs #1-3 (respectively corresponding to Children 1-2, Children 3-4, and Children 5-6, etc.)? I am using FileMaker Pro 11.0v4. Thanks!

Problem_example.jpg

Outcomes