1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2013 8:18 AM by philmodjunk

Displaying multiline text in portals or alternative methods

JFJoyal

Title

Displaying multiline text in portals or alternative methods

Hello; I was hoping you could offer me a suggestion to a small problem I'm having displaying sets of related records in a portal.I have a db containing participants,answers and questions and I want to display related test questions /answers for each participant. I have a layout based on the participant and I use a portal to show the related test questions/answers. The answers are short whereas some of the questions go on for 2 sometimes 3 lines. The portal only displays on line of text visually and also when attempting to print or to save to PDF. Obviously this isn't the desired result since I'm planning on sending these results to the participant and he/she will have a hard time making any sense of it. I looked around the forum (and a few others) and I know they are some threads that seem to come close to giving me answer when it come to this but they all seem unclear. Do you a suggstion on how I could go about resolving this problem. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Displaying multiline text in portals or alternative methods
          philmodjunk

For viewing the data in browse mode, you'll need to size your question field to be 3 lines of text tall. You can resize your portal row to support that. Either that or you give the field a scroll bar and scroll the field to read the text.

For printing/previewing/saving as PDF, you can create a list view layout based on the portal's table. The participant fields can be added to the header, footer or a grand summary layout part with the questions/answers placed in the body. The Invoices starter solution that came with your copy of FileMaker uses this method to print invoices.

You can then resize the question fields to be 3 lines of text or larger in height and set them in the Inspector to Slide up and to Resize Enclosing Part. If the answer field is below the question field, give it the same settings. This will not be visibile in browse mode, but when you enter preview mode or print/PDF the layout, you'll see the fields shrink and slide up.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.