2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 8:07 AM by KennethChristy

Displaying results from multiple files?

KennethChristy

Title

Displaying results from multiple files?

Good Morning,

I am very new to Filemaker.  I found it on my work computer the other day and have been "playing with it."  I love the simplicity for making databases, but I'm stumped with something that I'm assuming should be real easy to do.  Unfortunately, I can't find any instruction manuals in my office so I've reached a brick wall with what I'm trying to do.

Basically I have 2 files.  1 file contains the personal information of my students.  Each student has a unique student id.  The second file contains student_id, Absent Date, Reason.  If the student has been absent 5 times, for example, there are 5 lines starting with the student id and one absent date on each line. like this:

123456,11/2/2013,4

123456,11/3/2013,4

123456, 11/6/2013,4

423416,9/5/2013, 4   <------different student

Is there any way to link these two files in FMP so if I put in the student id in the search field it will return student name, address and phone number from the first file and the absent dates from the 2nd file?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Displaying results from multiple files?
          philmodjunk

While this can be made to work, why did you create two separate files?

What you describe here are two different tables and these can be defined in the same file--which is an easier approach for new developers than using separate files.

You can use Import Records | file with "new table" selected in the target table drop down to import the entire table from one file to another.

Or you can go to Manage | Database | Relationships, click the button at far bottom left and select "add fileMaker data source" to select the table from your other file. This sets up a new table occurrence linked to the table in your other file.

Either way, you now have two table occurrences, one for each table in Manage | Database | relationships and now you can link the two in a relationship matching records by student ID. This will then enable you to put a portal to your attendance data on your student layout to show all the attendance records for that student.

• 2. Re: Displaying results from multiple files?
            KennethChristy

PhilModJunk,

Thanks for the quick answer.  There are two files because that's the only way I can export them from the school district's mainframe.  I'd love to be able to have it as one file so I can mail merge it in Word to send home postcards to parents that haven't sent in absence notes.  I'm new to the program, but I see endless ways for this to make my staff's jobs a little bit easier!

EDIT:

I probably should have tried what you meant before posting my reply.  I see what you mean with scenario 1 now that I tried it.  I have 1 fmp file with two tables that were created from the 2 csv files from the mainframe.  Took me a minute, but I got your meaning.  I linked the two student id files under table relationships.

Now, and I feel like an idiot for having to ask what I suppose is a obvious thing, but how do I make a portal?  What is it?

2nd Edit:

My goolefu is apparently getting better.  I found the portal directions online.  Works great! 

Thanks again for your help!

Ken