AnsweredAssumed Answered

Displaying specific child records in layout

Question asked by jbell2355 on Jun 19, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 by jbell2355

Title

Displaying specific child records in layout

I have a situation that I would like to display some specific information from a child record in a layout based on some certain criteria. 

For example I have parent record "A" who has ten child records with a specific codes in one of the fields. I would like to display information on the parent record layout where the field code matches a predetermined code.  To further clarify I hope, Parent record "B" will also have child records with similar codes to be matched to.  I have thought about using global variables, calculation fields in the parent record and such to match them up.  I'm my mind in simple terms the code would look like this:

If( child record: field 1 = code a) then display information from that specific child record.

It would almost seem to me that I would want to loop through the child records to find the match.  The other thought I have had is to use the relationship graph, but it seemed to me that it would get cumbersome, because I would have at least an additional 5 relationships.  I hope this makes sense.  I have attached a copy of the graphic that I am trying to populate with filemaker data for reference.

Essentially although I may have 10-20 child records, I only want to show information from 5-6 specific records based on a predetermined criteria.  Things I am trying to populate from the child records would be package information container fields for packages 1-5 and their pricing.

Thanks in advance for the help  

image.jpg

Outcomes