4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 4:49 AM by illbe

Displaying subsummary parts horizontally

illbe

Title

Displaying subsummary parts horizontally

Please bear in mind that this may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a series of invoices that I currently have displayed based on due date, then by invoice number, finally the items per invoice as below, the invoice date and Invoice number are in one table, the line items are in another related table.

01/01/2009 (this is in a subsummary part)

Invoice #12345 (this is in a second subsummary part)

Item1 (these are in the body)

Item2

Item3

01/05/2009

Invoice #12345

Item1

Item2

Item3

I would like to display these horizontally across the screen instead of vertically, could I please get some help in how to do this before my head explodes :-), I'm certain it is something silly I have overlooked. I used to be able to do this in Access as a cross-tab query but filemaker has me baffled.

Thanks

in advance

Tom

• 1. Re: Displaying subsummary parts horizontally
          philmodjunk

Cross tab query type reports aren't as easy to set up in Filemaker as you can in MS Access, but it can be done.

You have to use relationships and either multiple portals or multiple relationships with calculations that reference data for each column.

Can you post an example of how you want to set up this "cross tab".

I'm picturing the following but could be wrong about what you want:

01/01/2009  12345    Item1      Item2    Item3

01/05/2009  12346    Item1      Item2    Item3

• 2. Re: Displaying subsummary parts horizontally
            illbe

Yes, you are correct except I would like to be able to stack the data such as:

1/1/1010                 1/10/2010

123456                      123457

Item1                            Item1

Item2                            Item2

Item3                            Item3

Thanks so much for your quick reply, I'm afraid I'm a bit too inexperienced with FM to use either multiple portals or multiple relationships with calculations that reference data for each column, could you point me to some reference material or give me an example?

Thanks

Tom

• 3. Re: Displaying subsummary parts horizontally
              philmodjunk

Hmm, that's actually quite different and opens another possibility that may or may not work for you.

What if you based your layout on your line items table and set up the layout to print in more than one column? The result is only visible in preiview or printing but is quite simple to set up.

To set up a layout for multiple column printing, enter layout mode, select layout setup... and click the printing tab.

"I'm a bit too inexperienced with FM to use either multiple portals or multiple relationships with calculations that reference data for each column"

If we end up using one of those methods, I'll try to walk you through it step by step.

• 4. Re: Displaying subsummary parts horizontally
                illbe

Phil, sorry for the delay, lost in the holidays. Thank you for your help, I was able to show my client the advantages of normal rows and columns ... thankfully. I do understand your method listed above though and I will keep it in my arsenal for future use. Thanks again.

T