2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 2:01 PM by leighs5_1

displaying text from mysql database in Filemaker 9/10

leighs5_1

Title

displaying text from mysql database in Filemaker 9/10

I'm using Filemaker 9 and now 10 to display text fields from a mysql database (as an External data source).  I'm finding that special characters like curly or smart quotes and trademark symbols don't display properly in the Filemaker fields.  However, they are being stored properly, because I can copy the sql data to a Filemaker field using the "Set Field" command, copy it back the same way, and the text still displays correctly on the web.

Any ideas of what I need to do to get it to show up properly on the Filemaker side? 

BTW  I'm using the Helvetica font in my layout.  I know it contains the curly quotes because I can type them into my fields when I use the "smart quotes" file option.

• 1. Re: displaying text from mysql database in Filemaker 9/10
          TSGal

leighs5:

Thank you for your post.

My gut feeling is that the curly/smart quotes in FileMaker Pro are different from the curly/smart quotes in mySQL.  I would type a curly quote into a test field (Field1), and then paste a curly quote from mySQL into a second test field (Field2).  In FileMaker Pro 10, one of the new calculation functions is Code (), which returns the Unicode/ASCII code for a character.  Therefore, create a calculation field, CALC, with the formula:

Code (Field1) & " " & Code (Field2)

This will let us know if the codes are identical or not.  You may want to do the same with the trademark symbol, too.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: displaying text from mysql database in Filemaker 9/10
            leighs5_1
               Thanks for the suggestion TSGal.  I was able to get some clarification on this from Actual Technologies, maker of the ODBC driver.  My mysql database uses the latin-1 character set, and Filemaker is using UTF-16.  So you are right about the symbols being different.  We are upgrading our mysql db anyway, so once its changed to UTF-8 things should work properly again.