1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 7:43 AM by philmodjunk

Displaying value list issues FMP13

JohhnyHilly

Title

Displaying value list issues FMP13

I'm having issues with displaying the correct values from a value list. I have 2 tables, Properties and Bills. They are connected by: Properties::_pk_PropertyID = Bills::_fk_PropertyID where _pk_PropertyID is an auto generated serial number.

On a layout (based on Bills), I have a field _fk_PropertyID. This has a dropdown list so I can select which property a bill belongs to. I have created a value list that uses the field _pk_PropertyID and displays values from a second field Properties::PropertyName (with show values from second field selected).

The issue I'm having is when I click on the dropdown list to select the property, the list displays the PropertyName which is fine, but when I select one, it displays the PropertyID in the field instead of the PropertyName. Where am I going wrong to display this properly? Should I be using _fk_PropertyID somewhere instead?

EDIT: Found the problem. If I use the control style as Pop Up Menu the problem goes. Can someone explain to me why using a dropdown menu doesn't display the same as a pop up menu?

• 1. Re: Displaying value list issues FMP13
          philmodjunk

The "why" is that FileMaker is designed to work that way. For a better why you'd need to find a FileMaker Engineer willing to violate NDA policy. wink

It is possible to completely Hide this ID field and still use the drop down list option. There's a "sub topic" inside "Adventures in FileMaking #2" that shows how to use FileMaker 13's "hide object when" property to keep the number ID from ever being visible in this field even when using the drop down list option.

Go to "Sorted Field Based Value Lists" and click the button named "Hiding the ID in Drop Downs".