1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 10:31 AM by philmodjunk

Displaying/hiding set of tabs/questions based on entered information

Makena05

Title

Displaying/hiding set of tabs/questions based on entered information

I'm stuck on creating a fairly large database frontend and I'm looking for advise/feedback.  I'm in charge of creating a safety inspection database for a safety committee.  The safety committee goes through each building which has offices, labs, data, janitor, etc rooms.  Each room has a different set of questions that need to be answered to pass the safety check.  Therefore, I would like the database to display only a set of questions if for an example, room number 101 for Building A is entered.  Is this possible or any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Using FileMaker Advanced Server 11 with FMP 11

TIA

• 1. Re: Displaying/hiding set of tabs/questions based on entered information
          philmodjunk

Each question should be a separate record so that you can perform a find to pull up the questions appropriate for a given location.

The responses, should also be separate records in a different table, but related by a QuestionID field so that you can match up questions to responses. An additional field might then link all response records to an Inspection record where you create one new record each time you perform the inspection. This way you can later pull up all inspection records for a given inspection, sorted by location so that you have a list of all results for the entire inspection.

In both tables you can add a Location field that identifies the location appropriate for that question and its response. In the questions table, you can make this field a check box field so that a given question record can be assigned to every location where it is relevant. In the Response table, you'd make it's location field a drop down list or pop up menu so that the database will record the location specific to that response.

Pulling up a list of questions for a given room during the inspection then becomes a matter of running a script that finds all question records that contain the specified location in the location field and then creates a new matching response record for each in the response table. A list view layout in the response table can then display both the questions and the response records thus created.