4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 7:14 AM by philmodjunk

Do a filter/find on two dropdown lists (state/town)

Title

Do a filter/find on two dropdown lists (state/town)

Hey I was hoping someone could help me with this problem.

I have two fields on one layout which are both dropdown lists.  The user has to first choose which state they live in (first dropdown list), then directly below it in another dropdown list choose which town from that state.

Now how do I narrow the list of towns in the second dropdown list based on which state was chosen in the first dropdown list?

Thanks in advance for any advice I could get on this problem.

• 1. Re: Do a filter/find on two dropdown lists (state/town)
          philmodjunk

This is called a Conditional Value list. Here are some links on the subject:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Do a filter/find on two dropdown lists (state/town)

Thanks Phil I now have conditional lists with two dropdown values lists working.  Thanks.

Is there a way to do this with the first list being a pop-up/drop-down, and the second conditional list being a range of check boxes open?

In my solution from the second list we want the user to be able to choose more than one value.  Rather than use more than two drop down lists we would like to show a range of check boxes based on the first drop down list.

ie.  the user chooses a state from the drop down list, then a list of cities (the user has visitied) appears in check box form of which they can choose more than one.

Is there a way to do this?

• 3. Re: Do a filter/find on two dropdown lists (state/town)
              JimMac

On a MacOS platform you can select multiple items on a drop down List by using the modifier key called Command.  when your list displays hold down the Command Key and select  any combination of items in  your list.  I am not sure what that key is in Windows, if it exits.

Jim...

• 4. Re: Do a filter/find on two dropdown lists (state/town)
                philmodjunk

A conditional value list is a conditional value list. Once you have defined it, you can specify any format, drop down, pop up, radio buttons or check boxes to use with it.

But radio buttons and check boxes have a fixed size. You'd need to be careful to size the field large enough to handle whicever sub group of values is largest.

But then there are also ways to use your value list's relationship with a portal to get what looks like a set of checkboxes but just so happens to have a scroll bar--which can be a way to handle varying size lists of values...