3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 8:01 AM by EvaM

Do I need the records in order to set up the database?

EvaM

Title

Do I need the records in order to set up the database?

Hi:

My client is a real estate agent.  Instead of him emailing me all of the records and files, can I set up the db without them, and then email the db to him, so that he can import the records?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Do I need the records in order to set up the database?
          Sorbsbuster

Can't see any problem with that.  These are 'records and files' that contain the data that will populate the file you are designing?  Of all the things that need to be done to transfer the data from a collection of other files into your newly-designed database, I'd have thought "Who gets sent what" was one of the least worrysome...?

• 2. Re: Do I need the records in order to set up the database?
            philmodjunk

A lot depends on the form that data that will need to be imported takes. Imported from an older copy of the same fileMaker file? That can be quite easy to set up so that the user clicks a button in the new file, selects the original copy from an open file dialog and then the script imports data and updates serial number settings for them.

If the data must be imported from other sources such as a CSV, tab, excel, or other such file, then the import process can be a lot more problematic for someone who does not have a good understanding of how FileMaker works and how the database is designed. That doesn't mean that it can't be done, but you may need to at let get samples of the data in order to test your import process to make sure it all puts the data where it's supposed to go.

• 3. Re: Do I need the records in order to set up the database?
              EvaM

Thank you Sorbuster and PhilModJunk.  Both of those posts help!!!