AnsweredAssumed Answered

Do leading grand summaries actually get processed this way???

Question asked by JonathanWexler on Apr 23, 2014
Latest reply on May 7, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Do leading grand summaries actually get processed this way???

This is actually a follow up to a different post of mine "Trying to be less stupid about why report runs slowly ...", where I think I have isolated the cause (but not the cure). 

My report has a leading grand summary, with a bunch of totals that represents a fair amount of processing.  The report - when it finishes after 45 minutes - is correct and shows the grand totals for the found set which is generally about 800 out of 40,000 records.  I believe that the layout - before executing any of the OnLoad script steps - is generating layers of totals for the 40,000 records (I base this on part by seeing - for a few seconds while the found set is being isolated via a script step - grand totals for the what would be 40,000 records). 

Is this actually what Filemaker does (by way of contrast, I think MS Access or Crystal Reports "cheat" and only compute/format leading grand total after the full report has generated)?

Can I fix this by moving the grand total layout piece to be a trailing one (or will it still stubbornly compute 40,000 sets of totals?  Any other workarounds that are not occurring to me?

Thanks

Jonathan

Outcomes