4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 10:10 AM by AswinSankarapillai

Do we have a way to insert the record after the search result

AswinSankarapillai

Title

Do we have a way to insert the record after the search result

Hello Everyone, 

I created a layout to perform a search function from the parent layout. But I am trying to figure out, do we have a way to select the record from the search result and insert it back to the original layout. 

Eventually I could go back to the original layout after selecting the field using a simple script but its still not inserting the record to the intended field of the layout. 

Thanks for your help!!!!!

• 1. Re: Do we have a way to insert the record after the search result
          philmodjunk

You'll need to explain what you mean in more detail. In most cases, the layout where you perform the find and the original layout are based on the same table occurrence. In those cases, simply changing layouts back to the original layout will show the found set produced by your search function on that original layout.

If you want to copy data from a record searched out in one table into an existing or new record in another table, you'll need to explain that and describe exactly what data you want to copy and whether to a new or existing record.

• 2. Re: Do we have a way to insert the record after the search result
            AswinSankarapillai

Thanks for your response and sorry about my initial thread without much information on it.

The original layout is about creating a profile which is associated with a individual's table. We initially got a portal created in the original layout which looks for the address using a address id and this portal is  associate with individual address table, but data entry people found it difficult to search the address. To enhance this, we created a new button in the layout which takes us to a new layout where data entry people can perform search in a much better way and this new layout is associated with Address Table . I succeeded in creating it but, I couldn't find a way to insert the result back to the original layout. 

The individual address table is linked with the address table with the address id as a foreign key.

To be more specific, I want to insert the address id from the search back to the original layout. I have attached the screen shots of my application.

Hope I gave you enough input.

Thanks,

Aswin Shankar

• 3. Re: Do we have a way to insert the record after the search result
              philmodjunk

It would appear that you have this relationship:

Profile::AddressID = Addresses::AddressID

so if, after performing the find, your script did this:

Set Variable [$AddressID ; value: Addresses::AddressID ]
                   Go to Layout [Original layout]
                   Set field [Profile::AddressID ; $AddressID ]

The current Profile record would be linked to the address record found by your search and would appear in the portal shown in your layout.

• 4. Re: Do we have a way to insert the record after the search result
                AswinSankarapillai

Thank you so much, It helped a lot :)

Thanks,

Aswin Shankar