2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 11:40 AM by ralvy

Document Handling question

ralvy

Title

Document Handling question

I'd like my solution to allow the user to click (or double-click) on a document reference in a container field, and have the action print the document. Let's say the possible documents will always be Word or PDF files. I find that double-clicking on with type of file reference in a container field will load the associated application instead of directly print. Is there a way around this?

Right now I have a text field to the left of each container field. The user uses the text field to type in a label they want for the document in the container field to its right. I also have a button for the user to use to pick a document for the container field. So, the layout looks something like this:

TextField    ContainerField     Button

which, when filled out by the user, might look like this:

Patient Intake Form     [intake.doc]

Patient Handout 1       [handout1.pdf]

Privacy Policy          [privacy.pdf]

etc.

• 1. Re: Document Handling question
          TSGal

ralvy:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro allows you to attach a file to a record.  When you double-click the file, the file opens in its native format so you can view the information.  FileMaker Pro will NOT display the information.  Printing the information would then need to be handled from the native application.

One exception is on a Mac where you can attach a PDF document as a Picture field, it will display as a picture on Windows.  You can then size the Container field to be one page in size so you can view the PDF document and print it.  This will not work for Microsoft Word documents.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Document Handling question
            ralvy
               Thanks for the reply, TSGal. That's what I thought. Have you heard of a pluggin that would allow a button, etc., to send the document directly to the printer? I'll search around.