1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 3:53 PM by philmodjunk

Document management and batch exports of documents for merging into another system

user14360

Title

Document management and batch exports of documents for merging into another system

Hi,

I am working on a document management system, where I basically have a table with lots of records, each of which stores a document in a container field, and various other metadata about the document.

The end goal is that this data will be merged into a different document management system, the details of which i don't know yet, except that we will need to be able to upload the files and the various metadata into it.

I have been working on the basis of storing the files actually embedded in the FM database, rather than as a file reference, thinking this would give me the greatest flexibility and simplicity regarding the storage of the files.

However the recent research I have done suggests that the exporting of these records might prove difficult, although it seems to me that I should be able to run a script that loops through and exports the field contents of each record to a folder.  (So far the information I have found might relate more to earlier versions of FM - can't seem to find much about it with FM 10.)

Does anyone have any experience they can share with exporting batches of documents from Filemaker into another system?  Are there good tools to use for this?  Is FM cut out for the task?