4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 4:18 PM by fred@kca-inc.com

Document Management in WebDirect

fred@kca-inc.com

Title

Document Management in WebDirect

I need to add some rudimentary document storage and management to my WebDirect application.  It appears that I cannot store documents by reference in a container field in WebDirect?  Has anyone figured out a workaround for this?  I really don't want to store the documents in my data file (I currently have App and Data FMP13 files).  Is there a downside to adding a 3rd database file purely for the storage of documents in container fields instead of storing them in a Windows file structure on the server and referencing them somehow. How would this affect the overall performance of the system?  Any feedback would be appreciated before I start coding.

• 1. Re: Document Management in WebDirect
          philmodjunk

Can't you use External storage for the container fields? You wouldn't want to use store a reference as that would leave the files scattered on all of the client's machines.

• 2. Re: Document Management in WebDirect
            fred@kca-inc.com

Oh.  I was thinking they were the same thing.  I just looked at the settings for the container field.  If I set the container field for external storage and define the path, I can just use the "Insert File" and "Export Field Contents" script steps and FileMaker will automatically save/retrieve it from the defined path location? What parts of the "Insert File" script step do not work with WebDirect?  This seems like it would work perfectly for my application.

• 3. Re: Document Management in WebDirect
              philmodjunk

I haven't used Web Direct, so my answer here is little more than quoting from FileMaker's documentation.

You can check script steps for Web Direct compatibility in the script editor and from what I can see, both insert file and insert PDF are WD compatible. But test for yourself.

Please note that Export Field Contents exports a file to the users's machine. If they then modify the file, those changes are not automatically saved back to the copy at the external storage location, the user would have to re-insert the file into the container field.

• 4. Re: Document Management in WebDirect
                fred@kca-inc.com

Thanks so much.  I'll build out a test version in WebDirect and see if I can get it to insert a file and retrieve a file and see that it stores it in the external location vs. the container field.  If that works, I can build the solution I need.  Very cool!  I'll report back and let you know if it all works.

Another related question; If I insert the same filename into the same container field in different records with the external storage option set, does the 2nd file overwrite the first file?  Is an error produced to flag a duplicate file? Does FileMaker rename the file to a unique filename or should I handle that in the script?