3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 1:47 AM by Sorbsbuster

Does "hosted" database mean I have to use Filemaker Server?

miw

Title

Does "hosted" database mean I have to use Filemaker Server?

I want to upgrade from FM 11 Advanced to FM 12 Advanced and want utilize the abilities of managing my data not only on my computer but also on my iPad.  The FM 12 video mentioned that can be done on a "hosted" database but it wasn't clear if that meant I needed FM Server or if I could just use FM 12 advanced.  I have never used a FM application oniPad so I am not familiar with a "hosted" database.

• 1. Re: Does "hosted" database mean I have to use Filemaker Server?
          davidanders

Hosted is a database opened in FileMaker Pro, Advanced, or Server with filesharing enabled.

This can be on your computer and available only on your local network or available anywhere on the internet.

Your connection speed may be too slow.

Or it could be hosted on a Filemaker Hosting Site that has very high bandwidth.

It could be accessed by Filemaker Pro, Filemaker Advanced, or Filelmaker Go.

A hosted Filemaker version 12 database can be accessed by FMP v12, FMPA v12 or FMGo v12.

A hosted Filemaker version 7, 8 , 9 , 10, 11 database can be accessed by FMP v7 thru 11, FMPA v7 thru 11 or FMGo v11.

• 2. Re: Does "hosted" database mean I have to use Filemaker Server?
            GuyStevens

You can share a database with Filemaker itself, but then the two computers (laptop and iPad) need to be connected to the same network.

If you want to connect to a filemaker database from anywhere on the internet you'll need Filemaker server on a computer with a fixed IP adress.

• 3. Re: Does "hosted" database mean I have to use Filemaker Server?
              Sorbsbuster

"If you want to connect to a filemaker database from anywhere on the internet you'll need Filemaker server on a computer with a fixed IP adress."

Not quite.  Just using FIlemaker Client (you don't need Advanced to use or host Filemaker files; the extra features are onyl for the developer, while developing) you can host up to 9 other guests.  You only need the Filemaker Srerver software if you need to have more than 10 simultaneous users.

You don't need a fixed IP address, although it is a bit ewasier if you do.  You can sign up for some of the free or low-cost providers (like No-IP or DynDNS) who will track your dynamic IP and resolve your name (eg: MIW.dyndns.org) to your IP.

If you are outside you own network you will need to put port-forwarding in place on your router to forward the incoming traffic from the iPad to the hosting computer inside your network.

All are perfectly easy when you have the pointers, if that's what you want to do.  If so:

- check out DynDNS http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro-free-trial/
              - check for 'port forwarding' and 5003 on this forum or on the web.  For example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2601847?start=0&tstart=0
              - check out the instructions for your specific router as to how to implement port forwarding