1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 12:50 PM by Mystick

Does anyone make notes or have best practice advise for logging relation ships and their changes

fluffyone

Title

Does anyone make notes or have best practice advise for logging relation ships and their changes

Hi Group

Ok, my database is starting to become quite complex. Is it worth trying to make notes of all the relationships, or is it more a case of when a change is required then to figure out what to do from the relationship chart?

for instance I have a contacts table and then contacts1, contacts2, contacts3, contacts4, contacts5 etc.. which are all different relationships

I am worried that I might lose track of what it all means and does, and I might delete or change the wrong thing

Regards

Fluffy

• 1. Re: Does anyone make notes or have best practice advise for logging relation ships and their changes
          Mystick

Hi Fluffy...

here are the standards I decided for my applications, maybe there are some things you will like from it...

- I select each Table Occurence (TO) in the graph that are from the same table (like your contacts example) and I apply the same color to each of them.

- I prefix the TO with lst_  (for when used for value list)  or with lnk_ (for when used for seeing data related to a selected record), etc.. .you can define you own....

- If I have a concept like all tables used for shipping part of your application, I put a " | CONCEPT" suffix to the TO name  ( example : "lst_contacts | SHIPPING")

- with the "A" button in the relationship window, you can add text next to your TOs to explain what it is used for.

Do not fear to take place inside this windows... move your things around to regroup them.  you can select many TO at the same time and give them the same size and align them together, it helps to be less messy...

Maryse